Real Monarchs SLC Fall 1-2 to San Antonio FC
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Monarchs SLC (17-8-2, 53 points, 1 West) fell to San Antonio FC on Monday night 1-2, suffering its first ever loss at Zions Bank Stadium. The Monarchs have now only lost two home matches during the regular-season since the beginning of 2017, both of which came to San Antonio FC.
Through the first 30 minutes of action, both sides traded possession with few chances on goal created. GK Adam Grinwis was forced into two big saves near the half hour mark before SAFC striker Ever Guzman's header broke the deadlock on 31 minutes. The Monarchs would go in search of an equalizer that never came in the first half as the Utah side entered the break a goal down.
The Monarchs applied the pressure to start the second half and were rewarded with a goal in the 64th minute when DF Konrad Plewa knocked home his first goal for the club from a MF Justin Portillo free kick. However, just two minutes later the Monarchs conceded again, this time to Lance Laing who curled home a shot inside the box past Grinwis. A late surge from the Monarchs nearly saw DF Kalen Ryden notch the equalizer but his header sailed just over the bar late in the match, leaving the Utah club to settle for its first loss at Zions Bank Stadium.
UP NEXT: The club is back on the road Saturday, September 8 to face Rio Grande Valley FC at 6:30 p.m. MT from H-E-B Park. The Monarchs topped RGVFC in early-June by a 2-0 scoreline.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
SA: Ever Guzman (Lance Laing), 31st minute: After forcing a fine save from Monarchs goalkeeper Adam Grinwis, Guzman broke free from his man on a corner kick to generate a snap header into the net for the lead.
SLC: Konrad Plewa (Justin Portillo) 64th minute: A free kick swung in by Portillo skipped through traffic in the area to fall to Plewa at the back post. Plewa battled with his defender to scramble the ball home for his first in a Monarchs uniform.
SA: Lance Laing (Omar Gordon), 66th minute: Breaking forward to the Monarchs goal, Gordon played the ball to Laing who had space near the top of the area. Laing did well to look up and curl a left-footed shot into the back of the net.
- The Monarchs have now failed to beat San Antonio in two-consecutive seasons.
- DF Konrad Plewa now the 15th Monarch to score in 2018.
- Paired with last Wednesday's loss, the Monarchs have now lost back-to-back matches for the first time since the end of the 2016 season.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC vs San Antonio FC
Date: September 3, 2018
Venue: Zions Bank Stadium; Herriman, Utah
Weather: 80 degrees and sunny
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 0 1 1
San Antonio FC 1 1 2
SA: Ever Guzman (Lance Laing) 31'
SLC: Konrad Plewa (Justin Portillo) 64'
SA: Lance Laing (Omar Gordon), 66'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): Adam Grinwis; Rhys Williams (Andrew Brody, 61'), James Moberg, Konrad Plewa, Kalen Ryden; Justin Portillo, Jack Blake, Charlie Adams; Maikel Chang, Chandler Hoffman (Jamal Charles, 79'), Josh Heard (Masta Kacher, 79')
Subs not used: Jake Leeker, Michael Gallagher, Juan Ignacio Mare, Ricky Lopez-Espin.
San Antonio FC (4-2-3-1): Matt Cardone; Mike Seth, Darnell King, Cyprian Hedrick, Greg Cochrane, Omar Gordon (Kyle Murphy, 90'+4), Mikey Lopez, Pecka (Maxi Rodriguez, 65'); Lance Laing (Jose Escalante, 65'), Connor Presley, Ever Guzman
Subs not used: Armando Quezada, Ryan Felix, Ryan Roushandel, Ethan Bryant.
Stats Summary: SLC/SA
Shots: 17 / 10
Shots on Goal: 4 / 8
Saves: 6 / 3
Corner Kicks: 8 / 6
Fouls: 9 / 7
Offside: 1 / 4
SLC - Rhys Williams (Caution) 40'
SA - Mike Seth (Caution) 63'
Referee: Marcos Deoliveira
Assistant Referees: Daniel Spicer Escalante, Kali Smith
4th Official: Jordan Downs
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 4, 2018
- Game Notes: Sounders FC 2 vs. Tulsa Roughnecks FC - September 5, 2018 - Seattle Sounders FC 2
- USL's Week Ahead - September 5-9, 2018 - USL
- Orange County Soccer Club Enters the World of eSports - Orange County SC
- Three-Assist Game Leads to Team of the Week for Michael Reed - Nashville SC
- Watson Earns USL Team of the Week Honors - Charlotte Independence
- Saeed Robinson Named to USL Team of the Week - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- FCC's Keinan Earns Spot on USL Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Tampa Bay's Guenzatti Voted USL Player of the Week - USL
- San Antonio FC Midfielder Lance Laing Named to USL Team of the Week - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Fall 1-2 to San Antonio FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Defeats Western Conference Leaders Real Monarchs 2-1 - San Antonio FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs SLC Announces Full 2019 USL Championship Schedule
- Real Monarchs SLC Exercises Seven Player Options for 2019 Season
- Real Monarchs SLC Bow out of Playoffs with 1-0 Loss to Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Open 2018 USL Cup Playoffs Saturday against Reno 1868 FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Shutout Fresno FC 1-0 in Regular Season Finale