Real Monarchs Re-Sign Veteran Defender James Moberg
HERRIMAN, UTAH - Real Monarchs have re-signed five-year veteran defender James Moberg to a two-year contract for the 2021 and 2022 United Soccer League Championship season.
"I'm so thankful to continue my career in a place that my wife and I consider home," Moberg said. "Thank you to the coaching staff, teammates, fans and organ action as a whole for their continued belief in me. I'm black for another run, and I'm her for simply one reason - to win!"
Moberg is the longest tenured player on the Monarchs roster, having been with the team since 2016, and is the only rostered player to lift both the USL Regular Season and the USL Championship trophies, as well as the only player to appear in all three postseasons. In his five years with the club Moberg has appeared in a combined 90 regular-season matches, scored three goals, tallied four assists and has participated in three-consecutive playoff berths from 2017-2019.
"We are ecstatic to solidify James within our Monarchs roster through the 2022 season," Assistant General Manager Tony Beltran said. "His presence gives us significant experience and leadership on the field while also providing a fantastic role model for the young players within our system. James is an exceptional professional and we greatly value his commitment to the Club and advocacy for the game within our soccer community."
In 2020 Moberg became a defensive mainstay, appearing in 13 of 16 games played. The defender led the team in both blocks (8) and interceptions (18), and recorded the second-most interceptions (32). On the offensive side Moberg contributed one assist.
In addition to the re-signing of Moberg, Real Monarchs have exercised options on goalkeeper Jimmy Slayton and midfielder Sam Brown. This season Slayton appeared in 11 matches between the pipes where he made 31 saves. Brown played in 16 matches for the Monarchs during 2020 and contributed one goal and one assist.
Brown, Moberg and Slayton will serve as the only returners, outside of Real Salt Lake rostered-players, for Real Monarchs heading into the 2021 USL season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 1, 2020
- SD Loyal Announces Grand Opening of Brick and Mortar, "The Shop at SD LoyalÃ¢ÂÂ - San Diego Loyal
- RGV FC Kicks off 12 Days of Toros with Colonias Unidas - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Academy Partners with 91st Minute Training on Soccer-Specific Conditioning - Louisville City FC
- Legion FC Announces Year-End Roster Updates - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rowdies Announce Series of 2021 Roster Updates - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Orozco, Enevoldsen, Kiernan Lead 7 Returnees for Orange County SC in 2021 - Orange County SC
- Returning for 2021: Sargis' Solid Play in Debut Campaign Gives Hope for Future - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Re-Sign Veteran Defender James Moberg - Real Monarchs SLC
- FC Tulsa Signs Forward Joaquin Rivas from Saint Louis FC - FC Tulsa
- On Giving Tuesday, Somos Unidos Foundation Announces Partnerships to Provide Free Books, Backpacks and Soccer Balls to Nm Kids - New Mexico United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.