RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Host Community Celebration and Adaptive Sports Event at Midway Park in Des Moines this Saturday
SEATTLE, WASH. - This Saturday, August 7, from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PT, Seattle Sounders FC's charitable arm, RAVE Foundation and the Seattle Storm, together with Symetra Life Insurance Company, are hosting an in-person community celebration for the multi-purpose playspace the trio constructed at Midway Park in Des Moines last summer, including free soccer and basketball skills training and a soccer and basketball giveaway for youth.
Adding to the day, RAVE and the Storm are joined by nonprofits Seattle Adaptive Sports and the Here and Now Project for a special adaptive sports event at Midway Park from 1:00-3:00 p.m. PT. The event features special guests and free play power-chair soccer and basketball - with extra chairs provided for people of all abilities to experience power-chair sports for themselves.
Festivities begin with the community celebration - an in-person event following the virtual grand opening of Midway's renovated playspace that took place last summer. Speakers from Sounders FC, Seattle Storm and Symetra will join Des Moines Mayor Matt Pina in the festivities, and children from the Midway community are encouraged to attend, as this youth-focused event will close with soccer and basketball skills training, and a soccer and basketball giveaway.
The multi-purpose recreation space at Midway Park is a donation to the community from RAVE Foundation and the Storm, with generous support from Symetra Life Insurance Company. Together, the trio collaborated to invest in this new court intended for free play, meaning that the courts are unrentable by groups or teams, ensuring they remain open at all times for the communities they serve. Situated just east of Pacific Highway in a green space desert, Midway Park provides a crucial safe place to play for nearby youth. The new dual soccer and basketball court will be free to all who visit and serves to inspire play and community pride. More information can be found at RaveFoundation.org/Midway.
Now completed, the court includes specially designed soccer goals and basketball backboards, with artwork that was contributed by students at Midway Elementary as part of a virtual Goals & Hoops For Art event last summer. Sounders FC Brand Ambassador and former player Brad Evans and Seattle Storm Associate Head Coach Noelle Quinn joined students as they put imaginations to paper in the art event, led by Midway Elementary Principal Debbie Ellis and Highline Public Schools teacher Marianne Schneeman. The artwork from students was used to add bright and personal touches on Midway Park's goals and hoop structures at the new court. Youth from the Midway community also participated in a virtual soccer and basketball clinic, hosted by Brad Evans and former Seattle Storm player Sami Whitcomb.
Following the community celebration, the Midway court is put to use with a special adaptive sports event, hosted by RAVE, the Storm, Seattle Adaptive Sports and the Here and Now Project. The event supports Sounders FC's dedication to Defend the Right to Play, one of the four core social justice arenas for change championed by the club's official Social Justice Framework. Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation believe that the right to play is a human right, and are committed to providing opportunities for free play, regardless of physical ability.
Stakeholders from each participating organization will briefly address the community, followed by free play opportunities for power-chair soccer and basketball. Extra chairs will be on hand to allow people of all abilities the chance to experience power-chair sports.
Special guests at the event include Seattle Storm National Wheelchair Basketball Association team.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 3, 2021
- LAFC Takes on Sporting Kansas City Tomorrow, August 4 - Los Angeles FC
- Academy Update: Get to Know Academy Director Craig Dalrymple - Inter Miami CF
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Continues Road Trip against First-Place New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Gold Cup Trophy Represents Another Summit for Acosta - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. CF Montreal - Atlanta United FC
- Preview: Sporting to Visit LAFC on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Host Community Celebration and Adaptive Sports Event at Midway Park in Des Moines this Saturday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Nashville SC - New England Revolution
- LAFC Defender Eddie Segura Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Owner Ted Segal Joins Houston 2026's Commitment to Growing the Game - Houston Dynamo FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip in Austin - Houston Dynamo FC
- LA Galaxy to Unveil Landon Donovan Statue at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City Competition Roster Announced for 2021 Leagues Cup - Orlando City SC
- The Pitch: New England Revolution Are Reveling on Top - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Continues Three-Game Road Stretch Wednesday at LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Orlando City SC on Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Battle FC Cincinnati on Wednesday Night at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Loans Tyler Freeman to Karlsruher SC - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Closes out Two-Game Home Stint against Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Defeats Sporting Kansas City 2-1 for Eighth Road Win of the Year
- Sounders FC Travels to Face Sporting Kansas City in Western Conference Clash
- Sounders FC Falls Short in Leagues Cup Final, Losing 3-2 to Club León in Las Vegas
- Sounders FC Takes on Liga MX Side Club León in 2021 Leagues Cup Final
- Sounders FC Midfielder Nicolás Lodeiro Undergoes Successful Surgery