Rascals Take Two from Aviators
Loves Park, ILLINOIS- The Rockford Aviators dropped a doubleheader to the River City Rascals 8-7 and 10-0 Saturday. The losses moved the Aviators to 30-21 on the season.
Game 1, which was a resumption of the June 25 game that was delayed in River City, started out promisingly for the Aviators. It picked up in the 2nd inning, and the Aves, keyed by a 2 RBI double by Anthony Renteria put up 3 runs in their first turn against RHP Tim Koons. The Aviators would tack on 1 more in each of the next 2 innings and carried a 5-2 advantage into the bottom of the 6th.
Unfortunately, the Rascals would break out with in their hitting half of the 6th against starter Payton Baskette and his relief corps to turn a 3-run deficit into a 6-5 advantage. The score was 7-6 heading into the ninth, when the Aviators got a 1-out double from Devon Rodriguez and an RBI base hit from Elijah Trail to tie the game.
The Aves, however, were not able to capitalize in extra frames, and the Rascals were able to take advantage of a couple of defensive mistakes by the Aviators in the 11th to steal an 8-7 victory.
In Game 2, the Rascals tagged up starter Tony Rizzotti for 7 runs and 10 hits over 3 innings. They raced out to an early lead and never looked back. A strong start by lefty Lucas Laster, in which the Rascals hurler was able to go all 7 innings, kept the Aviator offense down. The Aves were shut out for just the third time this season.
The 2 teams meet in another doubleheader tomorrow. Each game will last 7 frames. Start time for the twinbill will be 1 pm at Aviators Stadium. Fans can play catch on the field between games and kids will be able to run the bases after the second contest. For tickets, call 815-885-BALL or email [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 18, 2015
- Grizzlies Claw Back to Erase Deficit in Win against Greys - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Take Two from Aviators - Rockford Aviators
- Wild Things Defeat CornBelters 2-1 - Washington Wild Things
- Wild Things Escape Late Jams, Beat CornBelters in 9th - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers score eight times and beat the Boomers, win the series - Lake Erie Crushers
- Walch Guides Evansville to 4-2 Victory, Series Win - Evansville Otters
- Slammers Lose 4-2 to Otters Following Dramatic Ninth - Joliet Slammers
- Gates' Double Gives Miners Wild Walk-Off Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers Walk Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Snap Florence's Winning Streak - Florence Y'alls
- ThunderBolts Fall 10-9 in Extras at Southern Illinois - Windy City ThunderBolts
- July 18 Florence Freedom Game Notes - Florence Y'alls
- Grizzlies Drop Series Opener to Greys - Gateway Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.