Rascals Drop Rain-Soaked Finale
FLORENCE, Ky. - The River City Rascals lost the rubber match of their series against the Florence Freedom on Thursday night, falling 3-1 at UC Health Stadium. Following a 90-minute rain delay, Jackson Pritchard hit a two-run, go-ahead home run that was enough to seal the win.
The game was scoreless until the fourth inning, when Austin Wobrock roped an RBI double down the left field line to give the Freedom the 1-0. The Rascals quickly responded, however, with an RBI double of their own from Trevor Achenbach in the top of the fifth.
The game entered the rain delay in the middle of the sixth, and by the time play resumed about 90 minutes later, both starting pitchers had been removed. Pritchard's blast put the Freedom on top for good, and their bullpen combined for three scoreless innings, with Johnathon Tripp picking up his second save.
Rascals starter Jason Zgardowski allowed just one run in five innings in a no-decision, with two walks and four strikeouts. Anthony Baleto (0-1) took the loss, allowing the go-ahead home run.
Freedom starter Tyler Gibson (1-0) went six innings, allowing one run while walking one and striking out five in the victory.
The Rascals (4-3) head back home to O'Fallon, for a three-game weekend set against the Gateway Grizzlies, beginning tomorrow night. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. CDT from CarShield Field. Alec Byrd will make his second start for the Rascals, and will be opposed Chris Carden of the Grizzlies.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Rascals Drop Rain-Soaked Finale - River City Rascals
- Otters Hit Four Home Runs in Win vs. Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Boomers Capture First Home Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Washington Falls in Finale at Schaumburg - Washington Wild Things
- Evansville Wallops ThunderBolts in Series Finale - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Late Comeback Falls Short as Miners Drop Series - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers offense explodes to win series over Southern Illinois - Lake Erie Crushers
- Grizzlies Roll to Series Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Back Home this Weekend, Full Slate of Promotions - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.