Rapids vs. San Jose Earthquakes: Preview & Media Assets
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Colorado Rapids (2-8-6, 12 pts) host the San Jose Earthquakes (6-5-4, 22 pts) at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park this Saturday, June 3, for Matchday 17 (7:30 p.m. MT; Apple TV - Free, Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM).
The Rapids look to bounce back from a 3-2 loss to the Columbus Crew on the road on Wednesday and return to the home form the saw the side lose only four games at DSGP in the previous three seasons (22-4-14). Sam Nicholson put the Rapids ahead just nine minutes into the game against the Crew, marking the fastest goal the club has scored in a game this season. Midfielder Cole Bassett, making his second appearance following a hamstring injury sustained in April, then added a stunner in stoppage time to cut the deficit to one in an unsuccessful comeback effort. With Bassett's goal, the Rapids are second in MLS in most goals scored by a substitute with six, trailing Atlanta United's seven. After missing the game against the Crew due to yellow-card accumulation, forward Kévin Cabral will be available for selection against San Jose on Saturday.
Wednesday's match also saw goalkeeper Marko Ilić make his MLS debut since joining the club on loan this past offseason from Belgian Pro League side KV Kortrijk. Midfielder Marlon Vargas and forward Rémi Cabral, both called up on a Short-Term Agreement from the Rapids' MLS NEXT Pro squad for Wednesday's match, made their MLS debuts against the Crew, as well.
Rapids midfielder Connor Ronan has been a bright spot for Colorado since joining the club from England's Wolverhampton Wanderers FC this past offseason on a four-year deal. The Irish international has recorded one goal and six assists through his first 16 games in Burgundy, including one goal and five assists in his last six league appearances. His six assists this season are currently tied for fourth-most in the league. Ronan has been involved in all of the Rapids' last six MLS goals (one goal, five assists), which included a three-assist game against the LA Galaxy that saw Ronan become the first Rapids player since Jack Price in 2019 to log three assists in a single game.
The Earthquakes enter Saturday's game with one win in their last four matches, but unbeaten in their last two. San Jose faced Colorado earlier in the season at PayPal Park in a match that saw Earthquakes forward Cristian Espinoza score the game-winning goal in a 1-0 loss for the Rapids. Espinoza leads the team in goals and assists with eight and four, respectively, and has scored the sixth-most goals in the league. Forward Jeremy Ebobisse has recorded six goals and two assists, scoring the game-winning goal in San Jose's last match, a 1-0 win on the road against Seattle Sounders FC. Earthquakes goalkeeper Daniel, who underwent knee surgery in March, made his return in San Jose's last two games. His eight-save shutout performance against Seattle earned him a spot on the most recent Team of the Matchday.
In recent history, Colorado has fared well against San Jose at home. The Rapids have won six of their last seven games against the Earthquakes at home and have not lost to the Northern California side at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park in eleven consecutive games; their last defeat to the Quakes at home was a 2-1 loss in 2013. In the most recent matchup between the two teams at DSGP, Rapids defender Keegan Rosenberry scored a late game-winner to give his side a 2-1 win after forward Diego Rubio opened the scoring 21 minutes into the game.
Saturday's match will also mark the Rapids' first postgame fireworks show of the summer. Fans are invited to come down to the stadium pitch following the match to enjoy the spectacle.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 2, 2023
- Rapids vs. San Jose Earthquakes: Preview & Media Assets - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Travels to Lone Star State to Face off against FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Set to Host D.C. United this Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Continues Road Trip against the Philadelphia Union on Saturday - Club de Foot Montreal
- Rapids Host San Jose Earthquakes in Saturday Showdown - Colorado Rapids
- New York Hosts Orlando City SC for Fireworks Night on June 3 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends D.C. United Midfielder Lewis O'Brien for One Match - D.C. United
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Announces Updated Parking Details for Saturday's Home Match - Inter Miami CF
- Injury Report: One Absent vs. New England - New York City FC
- Minnesota vs Toronto FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Loan Defender Matai Akinmboni to Loudoun United FC - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Named MLS Player of the Month for May 2023 - MLS
- Revolution on the Road at New York City FC on Saturday - New England Revolution
- Junior Moreno Called up to Venezuelan National Team - FC Cincinnati
- Sporting KC Visits Vancouver on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 17 - MLS
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Jonathan Pérez Named to Mexico's U-23 National Team Roster for 2023 Maurice Revello Tournament - LA Galaxy
- Xherdan Shaqiri Named to Switzerland National Team Roster for Upcoming EURO 2024 Qualifiers - Chicago Fire FC
- Real Salt Lake Travel to Austin Saturday for MLS Matchday 17 - Real Salt Lake
- Keys to the Match: Repel the Revolution - New York City FC
- MLS All-Star Rolls into Nation's Capital with "MLS All-Star Summer Roadshow" - MLS
- Dani Pereira Earns First Call-Up to Venezuelan Men's National Team - Austin FC
- The Assist: Orlando City SC vs. New York Red Bulls - June 3, 2023 - Orlando City SC
- Josef Martínez Called up by Venezuela - Inter Miami CF
- FC Cincinnati Return Home Saturday to Host Chicago Fire FC - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Andreas Maxsø Named to Team of the Matchday After Recording Game-Winning Goal over Austin FC
- Maxsø Goal Leads Rapids to 1-0 Win over Austin FC
- Rapids vs. Austin FC: Preview, Media Assets & Postgame Availability
- Preview: Rapids Host Austin FC During 'Noche Latina'
- Rapids Academy Product Adam Beaudry Called up to U.S. U-17 Men's Youth National Team