Rapids Take 1-1 Draw in San Jose with Sturgis on Target
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (Saturday, May 18, 2013) - The Colorado Rapids got a first half goal from midfielder Nathan Sturgis en route to a 1-1 draw on the road at the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday night. Marvin Chavez scored for the hosts, but Colorado nearly took the win with Sturgis hitting the crossbar with a late header, and San Jose goalkeeper Jon Busch making several stops on Rapids forward Deshorn Brown.
Colorado has now earned at least one point in seven of the last eight games, holding a 4-1-3 record (W-L-T) over the stretch, including going 2-0-2 on the road. In tonight's match, the Rapids had 20 attempts on goal to San Jose's 13, and had eight corner kicks to the Earthquakes' one, with both Sturgis' goal and his header off the post coming from corner kicks by MartÃ-n Rivero. The Rapids played the last few minutes of the match down a man after Shane O'Neill received a red card, with defender Brenton Griffiths coming on late for his MLS debut.
The Rapids return home on Saturday, May 25 to face Chivas USA at 7:00 p.m. MT at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. For more information on the team, or to purchase tickets, visit www.ColoradoRapids.com or call 303-825-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2013
- Steven Purdy Called up by El Salvador's National Team - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Draws D.C. United 1-1 at RFK Stadium - Sporting Kansas City
- Galaxy Fall to Red Bulls on Another Late Goal - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Reserves Earn 1-1 Draw at Whitecaps FC Reserves - Portland Timbers
- Last Gasp Cahill Goal Gives First Place Red Bulls 1-0 Win over LA Galaxy - New York Red Bulls
- Reserve League: San Jose Earthquakes Top Colorado Rapids 3-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo Reserves Fall to Charleston Battery, 1-0 - Houston Dynamo
- Gehrig Steps up for Injured Marshall - Columbus Crew SC
- Final: Revs 2, Dynamo 0 - New England Revolution
- High-Pressure Game Plan Works Wonders as Revolution Stuns Dynamo - New England Revolution
- Rapids Take 1-1 Draw in San Jose with Sturgis on Target - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC Continue Hot Play by Toppling Dallas 4-2 - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.