Rapids Academy Players Miguel Alvarado and Owen Malick Called into U.S. U-16 Men's Youth National Team for Domestic Training Camp
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Academy players Miguel Alvarado and Owen Malick have been called up by the U.S. U-16 Men's Youth National Team for a domestic training camp, U.S. Soccer announced. The camp will take place in Carson, California, from November 12 through November 19.
Alvarado joined the Rapids Academy as a U-12 player from local affiliate Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer Club. The 15-year-old defender now occupies a position on the club's U-17 team and has so far featured in nine matches for the team during the 2023-24 MLS NEXT season. Alvarado was a key contributor to the U-15 team during the 2022-23 season, adding one goal in 16 appearances to help his team to a spot in the MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs with a 14-6-6 record. The U-15s ultimately fell short in the Round of 16, losing to the New York Red Bulls Academy in a 2-0 loss.
"Miguel was a key figure for the U.S. in the Concacaf Boys' Under-15 Championship campaign and we are excited to see him now get an opportunity to prove himself at the U-16 level," said Chris Cartlidge, Rapids Academy Technical Director. "Miguel has returned to the club after national team duty in fine form. It is a key year for our 2008 players as they transition from the U-15 level to the demands of U-17 academy soccer. Miguel has stepped up to the challenge and performed very well against some of the top opponents in the country. These are exciting opportunities and challenges for Miguel as he continues his developmental journey with the club."
Alvarado spent a significant amount of time with the U-15 Youth National Team during the 2023 season, including two team camps and an appearance in the team's international tournament at the end of April. Most recently, he joined the team for the Concacaf Boys' Under-15 Championship in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, where the team captured its first-ever Concacaf title in a 4-2 win over Mexico at the Estadio Olimpico Felix Sanchez. Alvarado was a key player during the tournament, recording four starts across the group and knockout round stages.
Malick is a long-standing member of the Rapids Academy, having joined the club during the 2019-20 season as a U-12 player. The 15-year-old spent his youth career with Pride Soccer Club in Colorado Springs. In the current 2023-24 MLS NEXT season, Malick has spent time with both the Rapids Academy's U-15 and U-16 team and has added five goals to the U-15's tally and seven goals for the U-16s in his combined 17 matches on the pitch. Malick has proved to be a staple of the Rapids Academy's attack, having scored three goals in 23 games played during the previous 2022-23 MLS NEXT season.
"We are thrilled to see Owen selected to attend the U-16 national team camp," continued Cartlidge. "Owen has been a standout performer for the club since joining the academy. Owen is a bright technical player with a level of game understanding well beyond his years. His mentality and habits on and off the pitch are at an elite level. He is well equipped to take this next challenge in stride and we are very excited to see Owen add the U-16 domestic camp experience to his resume. We are confident he will make the most of this opportunity to showcase his talents and take another step in his developmental journey."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 15, 2023
- Yuya Kubo Has Seen It All with FCC and Continues to Play an Important Role in the Fabric of the Club - FC Cincinnati
- Patience and Self-Belief Drive Cole Bassett Closer to Achieving Olympic Dream with Call up to November Training Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Academy Players Miguel Alvarado and Owen Malick Called into U.S. U-16 Men's Youth National Team for Domestic Training Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Portland Timbers Announce Multi-Year Jersey Rights Partnership with DaBella - Portland Timbers
- Two Senior Real Salt Lake Players Plus Youth Trio Depart for International Duty - Real Salt Lake
- Charlotte FC Homegrown Nimfasha Berchimas Leads USA to Knockout Round Qualification at 2023 FIFA U-17 World Cup - Charlotte FC
- Colombia and Venezuela Coming to DRV PNK Stadium on December 10 for International Friendly - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting Kansas City Forward Alan Pulido Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - MLS
- Alan Pulido Named MLS Comeback Player of the Year - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Draw with Nashville SC 1-1 in Home Opener
- Colorado Rapids Take on Nashville SC in 2024 Home Opener
- Rapids Players and Fans Celebrate Season Kickoff Party, Get First Glimpse of One Flag Kit Ahead of Home Opener
- Four Players Make Club Debuts in Rapids' 2024 Season Opener Against Portland
- Colorado Rapids Announce Roster Compliance Breakdown