Rangers Close Preseason Slate with Loss to Colts
Barrie, ON: The Rangers closed out the preseason in Barrie versus the Colts for the away portion of a home-and-home.
Donovan Sebrango and Joseph Rupoli both scored for the Rangers to give the Blueshirts a 2-0 lead through a period and a half but it wasn't enough as the Colts scored four unanswered goals to win 4-2.
Lucas Pfeil stopped 23 in the loss.
In the opening frame, successive penalties against the Colts during the game's 10th minute led to a 5-on-3 powerplay for the Rangers.
On the powerplay, Donovan Sebrango scored his second goal of the preseason to give the Rangers the 1-0 lead at 11:20. Ville Ottavainen and Ryan Stepien earned assists on the opening goal.
Kitchener heavily outshot Barrie through one, 12-5.
In the second period, just after an Arber Xhekaj hooking penalty expired, the Rangers extended their lead when Joseph Rupoli scored his first goal of the preseason on an assist from Reid Valade. At 11:20 it was 2-0.
The Colts cut the lead in half at 16:02 on a goal by Victor Hadfield, assisted by Brandy Clarke.
When the second period came to an end, the Rangers continued to outshoot the Colts, 24-15.
Just 13 seconds into the final frame, Barrie's Jacob Tortora tied it up for the home team and it was 2-2.
Shortly after the Rangers fifth powerplay, the Colts took their first lead of the night on Tortora's second goal of the night at 17:07 and it was 3-2.
Then, with 1:09 remaining in the game, Dalton Duhart added an empty-net insurance goal for Barrie to make it 4-2.
Kitchener outshot Barrie overall, 37-27.
The Rangers begin their 57th season at home on Friday, September 20 at 7:30 pm versus the Saginaw Spirit. Kitchener's first road game of the season is on Thursday, September 26 at 7:00 versus the North Bay Battalion.
Tickets are available for all regular-season home games! Purchase yours in person at The Aud or Centre in the Square Box Office, by phone (519) 578-1570 or 1-800-265-8977, or online.
Join the conversation on all things Rangers by using #RTown. You can follow the Rangers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram at @OHLRangers.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Colts Come Back to Beat Rangers in Final Pre-Season Game - Barrie Colts
- Spirit Finish Preseason on High Note After 6-5 Win in Flint - Saginaw Spirit
- OHL 20 in 20 Season Preview: Soo Greyhounds - Soo Greyhounds
- Rangers Close Preseason Slate with Loss to Colts - Kitchener Rangers
- IceDogs Win Final Exhibition Game 4-1 in Peterborough - Niagara IceDogs
- Owen Sound Nips Troops - North Bay Battalion
- Attack Win Preseason Match with Battalion in Shootout - Owen Sound Attack
- Colts Fall Short to Rangers - Barrie Colts
- Game Preview: Spirit Wrap up Preseason Saturday in Flint - Saginaw Spirit
- Knights Defeat Otters in a Shootout - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kitchener Rangers Stories
- Rangers Lose OT Thriller to the Firebirds, 4-3
- Rangers Fans Show Incredible Support for the Food Bank of Waterloo Region
- Damiani and Ingham Named to Team OHL Roster for 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series
- Team OHL Roster for 2019 CIBC Canada Russia Series
- Spotlight: Francesco Pinelli