Raiders Shut Out By Pats in Regina
Regina, Sask. - The Prince Albert Raiders (15-22-1-1) dropped a 4-0 game to the Regina Pats (16-17-0-1) at the Brandt Centre on Tuesday night.
Landon Kosior led all Raiders skaters with three shots on goal in the contest.
The two teams skated to a scoreless opening 20 minutes. Tikhon Chaika made two great saves, first denying Cole Dubinsky in the early moments of the game and then stopping Cole Carrier on a shorthanded breakaway with about seven minutes to play in the frame.
At the other end, the Raiders had three notable chances to open the scoring. Evan Herman redirected Sloan Stanick's pass just wide on a two-on-one rush. Later in the period, Carson Latimer and Niall Crocker each beat Matthew Kieper, but found the iron of the crossbar.
The Pats struck first late in the second period on the power play on their third attempt with the man advantage of the game. Connor Bedard found Tanner Howe with a cross-zone pass and the Pats rookie converted on the one-timer to make it 1-0 with 3:29 to play in the frame.
With less than a minute to go in the period, the Pats doubled their lead. Dubinsky made a lead pass to Bedard that split the Raiders' defence. Bedard fired a quick shot on the breakaway to put the Pats up 2-0 after two periods.
Early in the third, the Pats extended their lead to 3-0. Howe's attempt at a cross-crease pass hit the skate of a Raider defender in front and got through Chaika at the 4:02 mark of the frame.
The Raiders continued to press to get on the board, pulling Chaika for the extra attacker with 4:42 to play. They generated offence with the extra skater, but weren't able to solve Matthew Kieper. The Raiders' best chance came at the side of the goal, but Reece Vitelli had his shot ring off the crossbar and ricochet into the corner.
Carrier hit the empty net with 49 seconds remaining in the game to round out the scoring.
Chaika finished the game with 21 saves in the loss for the Raiders. Kieper stopped all 17 shots for the shutout.
The two teams meet again on Friday night in Regina for a rematch. Game time is 7 p.m. Listen to the game on 900 CKBI or watch on TSN.
The Raiders return to the Art Hauser Centre on Saturday night when they host the Brandon Wheat Kings. Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at SaskTix.ca and at the Raiders Office.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2022
- Raiders Shut Out By Pats in Regina - Prince Albert Raiders
- Connor Dewar's Big Week in the NHL, 'Tips at the Olympics - Everett Silvertips
- Bittner, Ferraro Headed to Beijing - Everett Silvertips
- By the Numbers: First-Half Evaluation - Saskatoon Blades
- Chiefs Wrap up Road Trip against Seattle Thunderbirds Tuesday Night - Spokane Chiefs
- Alumni Weal Named to Canada's Olympic Roster - Regina Pats
- WHL Announces Return to Team Activities for Wheat Kings and Rockets; Changes to Seven WHL Regular Season Games - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hauser Sets New CHL Goaltending Record - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Raiders Draft Luke Moroz in First Round of 2022 WHL Prospects Draft
- Raiders Sign Justice Christensen to WHL Standard Player Agreement
- Raiders Eliminated from WHL Playoffs with Game 5 Loss in Winnipeg
- Raiders Extend Series With Game 4 Win Over Winnipeg
- Raiders Facing Elimination After Game 3 Loss to Winnipeg