Protas Signs Entry-Level Contract with Capitals
Prince Albert, SK - Prince Albert Raiders forward Aliaksei Protas signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Washington Capitals on Wednesday, the NHL team announced on its website.
Protas, who hails from Vitebsk, Belarus, was selected in the third round, 91st overall, by the Capitals at the 2019 NHL Entry Draft in June. The Capitals moved up to that selection by trading the 118th and 129th picks in the draft to New Jersey.
Listed at 6'5 and 192 pounds, Protas was drafted 26th overall in the 2018 CHL Import Draft by the Raiders. In 61 games in his debut WHL season, the Belarusian had 11 goals and added 29 assists.
During the Raiders' run in the 2019 WHL Playoffs, Protas finished fourth in team scoring with 12 goals and 22 points in 23 games. This stretch was highlighted in back-to-back hat tricks in Games 5 and 6 of the Eastern Conference Championship against the Edmonton Oil Kings.
Protas also represented Belarus internationally, suiting up at the 2019 Division 1A - Group A World Junior Championship. He had two goals and three assists in five games as Belarus finished second in its pool.
According to the Capitals website, he is the first Belarusian chosen by Washington in the NHL Entry Draft.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are available. For more information, stop by the Raider Office, call 306-764-5348, or visit raiderhockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from July 10, 2019
- Protas Signs Entry-Level Contract with Capitals - Prince Albert Raiders
- Vancouver Giants Sign 2002-Born Forward Cole Shepard - Vancouver Giants
- Olson Named 2019-20 Team Captain - Tri-City Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Statement from the Raiders Regarding the Government of Saskatchewan's Announcement of Support for Junior Hockey
- Saskatchewan WHL Teams Launch Hockey Harvest Lottery
- Watts Signs with Wichita Thunder
- Guhle Invited to World Juniors Selection Camp
- Three Raiders, One Prospect Make NHL Central Scouting's Preliminary Players to Watch List