Preview: Austin Bold FC at San Antonio FC
Austin, TX - We had a little breather, and now we're back. Last Saturday's match against Rio Grande Valley FC was postponed, which gives The Bold more time to prepare for tomorrow's vital game against San Antonio FC. A draw against our I-35 rivals will take Austin back into second place in Group D, and a win will give a two-point cushion in the final playoff spot. Marcelo Serrano's men have struggled to find a win against San Antonio this season with a loss at Bold Stadium and a draw at Toyota Field. The Bold will look to take advantage of a potentially wavering SAFC to head back home with all three points. Catch tomorrow's match live on ESPN+!
The Bold Never Say Die
Over the two matches between The Bold and FC Tulsa, we learned one very important thing. The Bold never say die. In both meetings, Ausin came from behind to secure vital draws. Coach Marcelo believes this resilience comes from the belief in the system. He spoke on this after Saturday's match. "We had a lot of opportunities to score in this game and it shows the players are executing our style of play by creating chances. It was our first home game in a while and I see it as a good performance." The Bold created almost three times as many shots on goal than Tulsa with a 14 to 5 advantage. This high shooting percentage has helped The Bold climb to the top 5 goalscoring teams in USL Championship. Shooters gotta shoot and The Bold are living by that credo.
The Streak Ends
San Antonio FC has been dominant this season, going on an impressive 11 match unbeaten streak to top Group D. That all came to an end this weekend in El Paso with a late stoppage-time Mitch Taintor own goal handing El Paso Locomotive a win. Perhaps the writing was on a roll after Rio Grande Valley FC almost came back from a three-goal deficit at Toyota Field the week prior. SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina spoke on the result after the match. "We stressed it all week and we experienced it tonight, but it's about details. The details cost us late and we will learn from this game. There were a lot of positives, and we will grow and continue to get better." The Bold will have to keep their guard up tomorrow night as SAFC will be trying to send a league-wide message after their first defeat.
Vinny is Bold
With an eye on the USL Championship playoffs, The Bold added goalkeeper Vincent Tasca for the remainder of the 2020 season. "I'm very grateful and excited to be given the opportunity to join this club. This is a very experienced group of players that have done so much for this club in a small amount of time," said Tasca. "I'm eager to do and learn anything I can to help this team during my time here."
Tasca, 23, made his professional debut for NISA club Stumptown Athletic's inaugural season in 2019. The Pennsylvania born goalkeeper appeared five times for the Mattews, North Carolina based team. Tasca spent his collegiate career at Wilmington University, making 65 appearances for the Wildcats from 2015 to 2018. Tasca also played with amateur NPSL club Philadelphia Lone Star during their 2018 and 2019 seasons.
Get to know San Antonio FC by the numbers
Head Coach: Alen Marcina
2020 Record: 8-1-3 (W-L-D)
2020 Group D Standing: 1st (27 PTS)
Top Goalscorer: Luis Solignac (7)
Goals Conceded: 9
Clean Sheets: 6
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2020
- Reno 1868 FC's game against Tacoma Defiance rescheduled Game to be played Thursday, September 17 - Reno 1868 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Match at Reno 1868 FC Rescheduled for September 17 - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven vs. Louisville City FC: Wednesday, September 16 - Indy Eleven
- Bert Ogden Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Reno 1868 Adds Former Collegiate Midfielder Justin Sokuw - Reno 1868 FC
- Austin Bold FC Add Je-Vaughn Watson to 2020 USL Championship Roster - Austin Bold FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Miami FC - Wednesday, September 16 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Brilliant Belmar Earns Spot on TOTW Bench - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Tampa Bay Rowdies - Atlanta United 2
- Memphis 901 FC Dismisses Head Coach Tim Mulqueen - Memphis 901 FC
- Jake Areman Earns Week 12 USL Championship Team of the Week Nod - Charlotte Independence
- San Diego Loyal Players on USL Championship Team of the Week Ã¢ÂÂ Week 12 - San Diego Loyal
- Loudoun's Simon Lefebvre earns Player of the Week after tying single-game record with 13 saves - USL
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Real Monarchs Host Portland Timbers 2 - Real Monarchs SLC
- 1868 Looks to Lock up Playoff Spot against Tacoma Defiance - Reno 1868 FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- USL Championship Welcomes Oakland Roots for 2021 Season - Oakland Roots
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip - Las Vegas Lights FC
- USL Championship Welcomes Oakland Roots for 2021 Season - USL
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity at Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Bold FC Stories
- USL Academy League Reveals Founding South-Central Division Members
- Austin Bold FC Finishes the Season with 2-1 Victory over San Antonio FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC
- Austin Bold FC Fall 2-0 to Rio Grande Valley FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at Rio Grande Valley FC