USL Championship Welcomes Oakland Roots for 2021 Season
September 15, 2020 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - The United Soccer League today announced Oakland Roots Sports Club would become a member of the USL Championship beginning in the 2021 season, adding an organization that from its origins has captured the imagination of fans both locally and across the United States with its unique branding and mission of inclusivity and social good.
Founded in July 2018 by six local soccer fans and investors, Roots has quickly grown into a cultural phenomenon in the United States soccer scene. Based in the heart of Oakland at Laney College Stadium, the club sold out its first five home games in club history and welcomed 5,723 fans to its home finale last October. Roots' strong attendance continued into this spring, and they have averaged more than 5,000 fans at home games since the club's launch.
"Oakland Roots Sports Club is one of the most impressive and purpose-driven organizations in the United States. We are thrilled to welcome them into the Championship," said USL Chief Executive Officer Alec Papadakis. "When we think about the kind of clubs that can help drive our league forward, we look for committed ownership and fantastic community support. With Steven Aldrich, his team, and the city of Oakland, Roots S.C. possess those things in abundance, and we have no doubt they will be a huge success in our league."
In addition to the passion and commitment Roots have seen from local soccer fans, including supporters group Roots Radicals, the club has used its broad reach in the Oakland community to drive progress on social issues. Additionally this past June, Roots became the first professional club in the United States to join Common Goal, a global initiative begun by Manchester United and Spain midfielder Juan Mata that sees players and clubs contribute a minimum of one percent of their salaries and ticket revenue to fight social inequality.
"We are excited to join the USL Championship in 2021," said Roots Chair Steven Aldrich. "Playing in the Championship is a great opportunity for the Oakland Roots to continue our journey of using soccer as a force for social good. We can't wait to showcase the passion, pride, and commitment of our players, fans, and The Town to an even wider audience next year."
Roots joins the Championship for the 2021 season having acquired the franchise rights from USL East Bay.
"This has been a long journey together of nearly five years," added Roots Co-Founders Benno Nagel and Edreece Arghandiwal. "We can't wait to take another step together as we continue to grow our roots."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2020
- Reno 1868 FC's game against Tacoma Defiance rescheduled Game to be played Thursday, September 17 - Reno 1868 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Match at Reno 1868 FC Rescheduled for September 17 - Tacoma Defiance
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven vs. Louisville City FC: Wednesday, September 16 - Indy Eleven
- Bert Ogden Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Reno 1868 Adds Former Collegiate Midfielder Justin Sokuw - Reno 1868 FC
- Austin Bold FC Add Je-Vaughn Watson to 2020 USL Championship Roster - Austin Bold FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Miami FC - Wednesday, September 16 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Brilliant Belmar Earns Spot on TOTW Bench - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Tampa Bay Rowdies - Atlanta United 2
- Memphis 901 FC Dismisses Head Coach Tim Mulqueen - Memphis 901 FC
- Jake Areman Earns Week 12 USL Championship Team of the Week Nod - Charlotte Independence
- San Diego Loyal Players on USL Championship Team of the Week Ã¢ÂÂ Week 12 - San Diego Loyal
- Loudoun's Simon Lefebvre earns Player of the Week after tying single-game record with 13 saves - USL
- Preview: Austin Bold FC at San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Real Monarchs Host Portland Timbers 2 - Real Monarchs SLC
- 1868 Looks to Lock up Playoff Spot against Tacoma Defiance - Reno 1868 FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. Austin Bold FC - San Antonio FC
- USL Championship Welcomes Oakland Roots for 2021 Season - Oakland Roots
- Lights FC Heads to Southern California for Two-Match Road Trip - Las Vegas Lights FC
- USL Championship Welcomes Oakland Roots for 2021 Season - USL
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity at Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.