Power Bats Cold in 2-1 Loss
(Hickory, NC- May 14, 2013)- The West Virginia Power lost 2-1 to the Hickory Crawdads Tuesday evening at L.P. Frans Stadium. The Crawdads scored twice in the fourth and held the Power offense at bay while snapping West Virginia's three-game winning streak.
Starting pitchers Joely Rodriguez and C. J. Edwards matched zeros over each of the first three innings. West Virginia stranded four runners against Edwards while Rodriguez faced just one over the minimum.
In the bottom of the fourth, Nick Vickerson singled and advanced in to scoring position on a passed ball. Ryan Rua doubled in Vickerson for a 1-0 lead and advanced to third on a fielding error. Joe Maloney singled in Rua for a 2-0 lead.
The Power halved the deficit in the top of the fifth. Raul Fortunato doubled and moved to third on a ground out. Dilson Herrera lofteda single to right to drive in West Virginia's only run of the game. The Power had multiple base runners in the sixth inning but could not even the score. Hickory's bullpen then retired the final 10 batters in a row to close the game.
Rodriguez (2-3) took the loss despite notching his third quality start this season. The Power starter allowed both runs, only one of which was earned while striking out five and walking two in the loss. Edwards (4-1) garnered the win with five and two-thirds innings of work. Alex Claudio worked the final two innings for his fifth save.
West Virginia and Hickory close this series out on Wednesday morning. Orlando Castro will start for the Power against the Crawdads Conner Sadzeck with a first pitch slated for 11:00 am. West Virginia returns to Appalachian Power Park on April 16 to host Lexington for a four-game homestand. For tickets or more information, call 304-344-2287 or visit www.wvpower.com .
OVERALL RECORD: 19-19
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 14, 2013
- Nathans, Marin Lead 7-6 Win in 12 Innings - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive's Ninth Inning Blunder Leads to Tourists 9-8 Win - Asheville Tourists
- BlueClaws Streak Snapped in Extras, 7-6 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Wild Finish Dooms Drive in 9-8 Loss to Tourists - Greenville Drive
- Legends Top Kannapolis 6-1 - Lexington Legends
- C.J. KO's Power in 'Dads 2-1 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Bats Cold in 2-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Crawdads Weekly - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Notes: Kannapolis Intimidators (White Sox) at Lexington Legends (Royals) - May 14, 2013 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.