POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES: December 9, 2017, San Diego 4 at Iowa 3 OT
Wells Fargo Arena
10-11-1-0, 21 points
San Diego concluded a season-long five-game road trip with a 4-3 comeback win in overtime over the Iowa Wild at Wells Fargo Arena. The Gulls erased a 2-1 deficit entering the third period, and trailed 3-1 in the game, scoring three unanswered goals to for their second win of the season when trailing after two periods (also trailed 1-0 after two periods in a 3-2 SO win on Nov. 18 vs. Tucson). San Diego earned wins in three of the final four contests on the road trip to conclude the trek with a 3-2 record.
San Diego improved to 3-0 all-time versus Iowa and 12-6-1-0 against Central Division opponents. San Diego has also earned points in 17 of their last 19 road games (15-2-2-0) outside the state of California dating back to Dec. 29, 2016. San Diego begins a three-game homestand on Wednesday, Dec. 13 against the Stockton Heat at Valley View Casino Center (7 p.m. PT).
Eric Fehr scored his fifth and sixth goals in the season (2-02), his first multi-goal game as a Gull.
Kalle Kossila scored the game-tying goal at 11:18 of the third period, his fourth goal and 11th point (4-711) of the season.
Right wing Ryan White scored the game-winning goal in overtime, his first goal of the season and first for San Diego. The goal marked his first career AHL overtime winner and ninth career AHL game-winning goal. White also earned an assist for his first multi-point game as a Gull.
Scott Sabourin earned an assist on Eric Fehr's second goal to extend his point streak to a career high four games (2-24), surpassing his previous high of three games set twice previously (last: Feb. 24-28 (0-33)).
Reto Berra made 18 saves to earn his third consecutive win and improve to 4-2-0 on the season.
San Diego Gulls
On the road trip
We had a good couple of games on the trip. We didn't get the result we wanted in Chicago the other night. I thought (Head Coach Dallas Eakins) came in there after the second to kind of challenge us a bit. We weren't going to be denied tonight. Guys started putting pucks to the net, going hard to the cage and we found a way to win.
On lineup changes
That's the name of the game. If one guy goes down or gets shipped out it's next man up. That's part of pro hockey. I think the guys did a good job of not pouting today. We lost a good guy in (Spencer Abbott) the other day but I thought the guys did a good job of putting the work boots on and earning that win tonight. We needed it.
On his overtime winner
You are taught as a kid that if the guy has a breakaway to just keep your feet moving and follow up for a rebound. It kind of worked out in my favor tonight. I was a little shocked when I got the puck and to have the open net and I wanted to make sure that I put it away.
On earning points this time of year
I think any team you're on you want to make the playoffs. We're in a little bit of a spot here and need to get moving here and to pick up four points out of six points on the trip is big and we have to go back home here and get back to work.
On the comeback win
We really wanted to get this one. It was important for us to finish off the road trip on a positive note and I thought we brought great energy in the third and made a good effort in the comeback.
On his two goals
As a line we tried to keep it simple and just make sure we're putting pucks to the net and make it tough on them. We got a couple lucky breaks and we were able to put them in.
On he and Ryan White bringing veteran leadership
We're trying to help out in any way we can, whether it's in the room or on the ice. We're trying to bring it every night for the team and it was great to finally be able to chip in and really help the guys in a big win for us. I think this one can be a big turning point for us. We had some great energy down the stretch.
On the game-winning goal
I'm not ever sure how that all broke down. I just saw (White) had the open net from the side. Those ones are never easy when the game is on the line. He had a pretty tough angle there and he made a good play. It's a little river hockey, it's fun for the fans, and you want to make sure you're on the right side of those ones.
San Diego Gulls Hockey Club
(619) 359-4704 phone
(714) 323-0454 mobile
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2017
- Hot Hogs Take Weekend Wins - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Capobianco from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Updates - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Amerks Weekly Schedule - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Army from Wheeling - Milwaukee Admirals
- Petan Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Ontario Reign Weekly: Ontario Reign Open Road Trip on Winning Note - Ontario Reign
- Sabres Recall Rodrigues - Rochester Americans
- Reign Ready for Holiday Homestand at Citizens Business Bank Arena - Ontario Reign
- F Alex Krushelnyski Recalled by Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks to Celebrate "12 Days of Hockey" on Friday - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Fall to Wild by One - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly Schedule: December 11-17 - Manitoba Moose
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 5, Springfield Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wild Settles Griffins 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Weekly Schedule - Rochester Americans
- RECAP: Penguins Drop Four Goals on Bears in Sunday Victory - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Road Trip Victorious in Bridgeport - Rochester Americans
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Milwaukee 1 at Manitoba 6 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Ontario - San Antonio Rampage
- P-Bruins Get 4-3 OT Win in 2,000th Franchise Game - Providence Bruins
- Vegas Returns Lagace to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Sunday Matinee An Encore Performance of Saturday Night's OT Loss - Utica Comets
- Anselmini Recalled from Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Ethan Prow Reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Islanders Loan Shane Prince to Bridgeport for Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Iowa Assigns Jack Walker to Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Game Media Notes Available On-Line - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Barbashev Returns to St. Louis - Chicago Wolves
- IceHogs Stay Hot - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocco Grimaldi Lands First Career Hat Trick as San Antonio Topples - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Stay Hot, Rout Griffins for 4th Straight Win - Rockford IceHogs
- POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES: December 9, 2017, San Diego 4 at Iowa 3 OT - San Diego Gulls
- Game Recap | Amerks Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Pack - Rochester Americans
- San Diego Defeats Iowa 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Recap - Thunderbirds 4, Sound Tigers 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pakarinen Scores in 2-1 Loss to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- Campbell and Hensick Power Reign over Roadrunners to Open Road Trip - Ontario Reign
- RECAP: Penguins Drop Overtime Decision at Hershey, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Recap - Bruins 4, Sound Tigers 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Win Fourth Straight with 4-1 Victory in Bridgeport - Providence Bruins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jamie McBain to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Storm Back for Win over Thunderbirds - Charlotte Checkers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Chychrun and Assign Campbell to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- GAME PREVIEW: CONDORS HOST SAN JOSE. - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Today in Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Score Five to End Five-Game Skid - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Cleveland 0 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Records Three Unanswered Goals to Defeat Iowa 4-3 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- IceHogs Roar Past Stars on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Stop Wolves 5-2 at Allstate - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Slide Past Senators, 5-4, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Smith and Rodrigues Lead Amerks to 5-2 Win over Penguins - Rochester Americans
- Wild Falls to Rampage 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Phantoms Gain Critical Standings Point on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Stifled by Moose, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins Lose to Americans, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets 2, Sound Tigers 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Win Rematch in Shootout. - Utica Comets
- Two Goals from Szwarz Power Bruins Past Devils 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Blanked by Bears - Milwaukee Admirals
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Toronto Marlies 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 3 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Kings Prospect Austin Wagner Medically Cleared and Assigned to Reign - Ontario Reign
- D Adam Comrie, D Nick Luukko Signed to PTOs - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hogs Duel with Texas on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Player Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Jamie McBain - Syracuse Crunch
- Osipov Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- D Mark Alt Recalled by Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Take Shootout over Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Last-Minute Goals See Gulls Sneak Away from Reign with 3-2 Decision - Ontario Reign
- POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES: December 1, 2017, San Diego 3 at Ontario 2 - San Diego Gulls
- HEAT GAME RECAP: Third Period Comeback Earns Heat Point in Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Hinostroza Strikes in OT as Hogs Drop Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Rallies to Defeat San Antonio 5-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Tops Rampage 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Tie Game Late, Upend Griffins in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Come up Short in Shootout Loss to Wolf Pack - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers 7, Comets 6 (OT) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edge Rocket, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Rally Falls Short - Chicago Wolves
- RECAP: Wilson's Heatfelt Hat Trick Helps Pens Earn 5-4 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hartford Wolf Pack 5, Rochester Americans 4 (SO) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- POW Phantoms Down Rival Hershey 7-2 on Superhero Night - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- GAME RECAP: Foegele Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Triumph - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Drop High Scoring Thriller to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Gordie Howe Hat-Trick from Fitzgerald Leads P-Bruins over Devils - Providence Bruins
- Berube Recalled by Hawks, Delia Reassigned to Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- San Diego Gulls to Open 2019 Training Camp Monday, September 23 at Great Park Ice in Irvine, Calif.
- San Diego Gulls to Host Ontario Reign in Free Exhibition Game September 30 at Honda Center
- Anaheim Ducks Set to Host the 2019 Anaheim Rookie Faceoff Beginning this Saturday at Great Park Ice
- San Diego Gulls Sign Scott Moldenhauer to One-Year Contract
- San Diego Gulls Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now