HEAT GAME RECAP: Third Period Comeback Earns Heat Point in Bakersfield
Bakersfield, Calif. - Tyler Wotherspoon scored and added an assist 13 seconds later to help tie the game in the third period, and even after Bakersfield retook the lead, the Heat came back for a second time in the game and force extra hockey, where the Heat would fall in the shootout 4-3. After the Condors controlled the first two periods, outshooting Stockton 22-13 and outscoring them 2-0, the Heat got on the board early in the third thanks to Wotherspoon's wrist shot that beat Eddie Pasquale over his left leg pad. On the ensuing faceoff, the Heat would march right back at the Condors netminder with Wotherspoon dishing to Joseph Cramarossa, who cranked a one-time slapshot past the netminder to tie the game up at 2-2. Patrick Russell would restore the lead for the Condors with a redirection past Eddie Lack but the Heat tied things up just before the midway mark of the third thanks to Morgan Klimchuk's one-timer on the hashmarks of the left circle. The Heat had to kill off two Condor power-play chances in overtime, which they did, but unfortunately in the shootout, the Condors were able to beat Lack twice while the Heat failed to score, ultimately earning one of the two points up for grabs against the Condors.
1st Period: Bakersfield Goal: D Ryan Mantha (1) turnover leads to pass to player in front of the net who finishes a backhand deke past goalie's right pad (Christoffer, Downing assists), 15:17. Shots: STK - 4 | BAK - 15.
2nd Period: Bakersfield Goal: F Zach O'Brien (2) centering feed to top of the crease is jammed high over goalie's glove hand (Malone, Simpson assists), 7:59. Shots: STK - 9 | BAK - 7.
3rd Period: HEAT GOAL: D Tyler Wotherspoon (2) shot from the rush in the high slot beat goalie above his left pad (Glass assist), 3:07 HEAT GOAL: F Joseph Cramarossa (3) ensuing faceoff is brought into offensive zone quickly with puck passed to the top of far circle and one-timed past goalie inside the far post (Wotherspoon, Poirier assists), 3:20 Bakersfield Goal: F Patrick Russell (5) shot from the right point is redirected through traffic past goaltender (Lowe, Downing assists), 4:21. HEAT GOAL: F Morgan Klimchuk (9) pass from right circle finds winger on left circle which is one-timed into the back door (Andersson, Hrivik assists), 9:38 Shots: STK - 7 | BAK - 6.
Overtime: No Goals.
Shots: STK - 1 | BAK - 3
Shootout: Joey Laleggia - GOAL.
Andrew Mangiapane - Miss Zach O'Brien - Miss. Spencer Foo - Miss. Ty Rattie - GOAL.
GOALIES W: Eddie Pasquale (21 shots, 18 saves) L: Eddie Lack (31 shots, 28 saves)
NOTABLE STATISTICS: Three Stars: 1- Joey Laleggia (BAK) (Shootout Game Winner) 2- Ryan Mantha (BAK) (1 goal) 3- Patrick Russell (BAK) (1 goal). Final Shots: STK - 21 | BAK - 31. Power Plays: STK - 0/4 | BAK - 0/7.
Tyler Wotherspoon (1 goal, 1 assist) records his third-multi-point game of the season. The Heat have earned points in two road games they trailed while heading into the third period this season.
Stockton was held to just four shots in the first period, tying the fewest shots in a single period this season for the third time and first since October 25 in San Diego. The Heat have points in 10-straight games against the Condors dating back to March 8, 2017 (9-0-0-1).
The Heat failed to score the first goal of the contest for just the fifth time this season, having scored first in 15 of 20 games this season and are now 2-1-0-2 when allowing the first goal including 2-0-0-2 in games they allow the first goal on the road.
It was the sixth win of the season over Bakersfield, improving the Heat's record against their rival to 16-13-1-0 all-time. In total, the Heat have won nine-straight games against the Condors dating back to March 8, 2017.
QUOTES: "We have been a good third period team this year and with the group of guys we have in the room, it just took us one to get us rolling. It is tough when you have first period like that, but I thought we really rallied as the game went on. Lack gave us a chance all night and he got us to the shootout so you have to give him props for that and it was good to get that extra point." - Morgan Klimchuk on the team's third period comeback.
"Jumping up in the rush like that is what we are looking for from those guys. When you can get contributions from the backend to tie the game up that is huge that is what you need and it is how you win games in this league. You need your best players to step up and he did that tonight." - Klimchuk on Wotherspoon's big offensive contribution.
"On that goal, I picked it up behind the net and saw I had a little bit of room and just tried to get a shot through and make things happen. On the next shift, I tried to create some offense and got lucky with a little bounce and gave it to Cramarossa who had a nice shot. Good couple of shifts there and it was good to come out with at least a point." - Tyler Wotherspoon on his two points in the span of 13 seconds.
"We were a pretty confident bunch on the bench. We had a lot of momentum on our side and we felt like it was a matter of time. We kept pushing and good things came." - Wotherspoon on the team staying confident even when trailing after Russell retook the lead for Bakersfield.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2017
- Hot Hogs Take Weekend Wins - Rockford IceHogs
- Coyotes Recall Capobianco from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Wolf Pack Updates - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Amerks Weekly Schedule - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Army from Wheeling - Milwaukee Admirals
- Petan Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Manitoba Moose
- Ontario Reign Weekly: Ontario Reign Open Road Trip on Winning Note - Ontario Reign
- Sabres Recall Rodrigues - Rochester Americans
- Reign Ready for Holiday Homestand at Citizens Business Bank Arena - Ontario Reign
- F Alex Krushelnyski Recalled by Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks to Celebrate "12 Days of Hockey" on Friday - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Fall to Wild by One - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Weekly Schedule: December 11-17 - Manitoba Moose
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 5, Springfield Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Wild Settles Griffins 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Weekly Schedule - Rochester Americans
- RECAP: Penguins Drop Four Goals on Bears in Sunday Victory - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Recap | Amerks Close out Road Trip Victorious in Bridgeport - Rochester Americans
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Milwaukee 1 at Manitoba 6 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point in 3-2 Overtime Loss to Ontario - San Antonio Rampage
- P-Bruins Get 4-3 OT Win in 2,000th Franchise Game - Providence Bruins
- Vegas Returns Lagace to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Sunday Matinee An Encore Performance of Saturday Night's OT Loss - Utica Comets
- Anselmini Recalled from Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Ethan Prow Reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Islanders Loan Shane Prince to Bridgeport for Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Iowa Assigns Jack Walker to Rapid City - Iowa Wild
- Wolf Pack Game Media Notes Available On-Line - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Barbashev Returns to St. Louis - Chicago Wolves
- IceHogs Stay Hot - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocco Grimaldi Lands First Career Hat Trick as San Antonio Topples - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Stay Hot, Rout Griffins for 4th Straight Win - Rockford IceHogs
- POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES: December 9, 2017, San Diego 4 at Iowa 3 OT - San Diego Gulls
- Game Recap | Amerks Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Pack - Rochester Americans
- San Diego Defeats Iowa 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Recap - Thunderbirds 4, Sound Tigers 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pakarinen Scores in 2-1 Loss to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- Campbell and Hensick Power Reign over Roadrunners to Open Road Trip - Ontario Reign
- RECAP: Penguins Drop Overtime Decision at Hershey, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Recap - Bruins 4, Sound Tigers 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- P-Bruins Win Fourth Straight with 4-1 Victory in Bridgeport - Providence Bruins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jamie McBain to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Storm Back for Win over Thunderbirds - Charlotte Checkers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Sonny Milano to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Chychrun and Assign Campbell to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- GAME PREVIEW: CONDORS HOST SAN JOSE. - Bakersfield Condors
- Ontario Reign Open Five-Game Road Trip Today in Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Griffins Score Five to End Five-Game Skid - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Cleveland 0 at Manitoba 4 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Records Three Unanswered Goals to Defeat Iowa 4-3 in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- IceHogs Roar Past Stars on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Stop Wolves 5-2 at Allstate - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Slide Past Senators, 5-4, in Seven-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Smith and Rodrigues Lead Amerks to 5-2 Win over Penguins - Rochester Americans
- Wild Falls to Rampage 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Phantoms Gain Critical Standings Point on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Stifled by Moose, 4-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins Lose to Americans, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets 2, Sound Tigers 1 (SO) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Comets Win Rematch in Shootout. - Utica Comets
- Two Goals from Szwarz Power Bruins Past Devils 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Admirals Blanked by Bears - Milwaukee Admirals
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Toronto Marlies 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 3 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Kings Prospect Austin Wagner Medically Cleared and Assigned to Reign - Ontario Reign
- D Adam Comrie, D Nick Luukko Signed to PTOs - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hogs Duel with Texas on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Player Moves - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Jamie McBain - Syracuse Crunch
- Osipov Returns to Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- D Mark Alt Recalled by Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Condors Take Shootout over Stockton - Bakersfield Condors
- Thrilling Last-Minute Goals See Gulls Sneak Away from Reign with 3-2 Decision - Ontario Reign
- POSTGAME NOTES & QUOTES: December 1, 2017, San Diego 3 at Ontario 2 - San Diego Gulls
- HEAT GAME RECAP: Third Period Comeback Earns Heat Point in Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Hinostroza Strikes in OT as Hogs Drop Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Iowa Rallies to Defeat San Antonio 5-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Tops Rampage 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Tie Game Late, Upend Griffins in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Come up Short in Shootout Loss to Wolf Pack - Rochester Americans
- Sound Tigers 7, Comets 6 (OT) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edge Rocket, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Rally Falls Short - Chicago Wolves
- RECAP: Wilson's Heatfelt Hat Trick Helps Pens Earn 5-4 OT Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hartford Wolf Pack 5, Rochester Americans 4 (SO) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- POW Phantoms Down Rival Hershey 7-2 on Superhero Night - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- GAME RECAP: Foegele Nets Hat Trick in 4-1 Triumph - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Drop High Scoring Thriller to Bridgeport - Utica Comets
- Gordie Howe Hat-Trick from Fitzgerald Leads P-Bruins over Devils - Providence Bruins
- Berube Recalled by Hawks, Delia Reassigned to Hogs - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Heat Stories
- Heat Hand San Jose Their First Regulation Loss 3-2
- Heat Look to Bounce Back at the SAP Center Today at 3PM
- Mangiapane's Multi-Point Effort Not Enough to Beat San Jose
- Heat Host Local Teachers and Hand out Team Photos Courtesy of Chase Chevrolet, Ray Morgan Company & Asvitt Photography
- Heat Record First Win and Rychel Records Fastest Hat Trick in Team History