Portillo Named USHL Goalie of the Week for Second Time
DUBUQUE, Iowa - For the second time this season, Erik Portillo was named the USHL Goalie of the Week. Portillo, who already won the award on November 19th, secured his second weekly honors after a 38-save performance against the Waterloo Black Hawks. Portillo shut down the Hawks, stopping 14 of 15 shots in the 3rd period to keep Waterloo out of striking distance.
The win for Portillo was his 13th of the season, placing him in a three-way tie for third in the USHL. He also ranks first in goals against (2.05) and second in save percentage (.918). Since his return from the World Juniors, Portillo has continued his stellar play against some of the league's best teams in Waterloo and Chicago.
The win against Waterloo, in which Portillo allowed just one goal, marked the 10th time in 18 games that he has allowed just one tally. No other goalie in the USHL can claim more games than that. For Portillo, he joins Braden Doyle as the only other Saints player who has received weekly honors more than once this season. Aidan McCarthy was also tabbed the Goalie of the Week earlier in the year. The Saints have yet to see a forward win the award despite some solid performances from that group.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2020
- Season High Crowd on Hand for Dash for Cash - Green Bay Gamblers
- Brendan Brisson Named USHL Forward of the Week - Chicago Steel
- Portillo Named USHL Goalie of the Week for Second Time - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Mitchell Miller Named USHL Defenseman of the Week - Tri-City Storm
- Brendan Brisson (Chicago), Mitchell Miller (Tri-City) and Erik Portillo (Dubuque) Earn Weekly Honors - USHL
- Weekly Preview: Mascots Invade Geneva this Sunday to Celebrate Rusty's Birthday - Chicago Steel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Dubuque's Strong Third Not Enough against Muskegon
- Powell's Two Goal Game Helps U-18's to 4-1 Win over Dubuque
- Saints Set for Three in Three in Michigan
- Saints Defenseman Robinson Commits to Air Force Academy
- Dubuque's Comeback Bid Falls Short, Gamblers Win 4-3