Poole Dominates in Saint John with 39 Points in Win over Riptide
SAINT JOHN, N.B. - Mike Poole has been a force to be reckoned with since Christmas and Wednesday night's game against the Riptide at Harbour Station was no different.
The Hurricanes small forward dropped a season-high 39 points on the Saint John squad to propel the Hurricanes to a 114-110 win, the team's third in a row.
After a slow start to the game, the Hurricanes took command in the second quarter, leading by 12 at the half before the Riptide battled back in a second half that saw several lead changes. Late in the fourth quarter, when the game looked destined for overtime, a savvy defensive effort from the Hurricanes forced a Riptide turnover from the inbound that helped the Hurricanes seal away a four-point victory.
As a team, the Hurricanes shot with super-efficiently everywhere except the free-throw line. Halifax shot a season-best 60 per cent from three, 62.7 per cent from the floor, but just 60 per cent from the foul line.
Along with his game-high 39 points, Poole showcased his usual all-around game, grabbing seven rebounds, dishing out five assists and picking up a steal.
Poole's elevated play of late has sparked the Halifax offence. Since Christmas, he's scored 16, 28, 30 and 25 points before Wednesday's effort.
Joel Kindred shouldered some of the scoring load as well, with 17 points of 6-7 shooting with two steals.
Backup point guard Malcolm Duvivier got hot in the first half. He finished with 15 points, including 4-6 from three.
Gabe Freeman whose minutes were limited by foul trouble finished with 13 points, while Jordan Washington put up 11 points off the bench.
Veteran point guard cliff Clinkscales found his teammates for 10 assists in the win.
Frank Bartley led the Riptide with 28 points.
The Hurricanes improve to 9-8 with the win and after 13 games in 31 days, including five in the past week, the Halifax Hurricanes have finally earned some rest. They will take a week off after a very busy December schedule.
The next home game at Scotiabank Centre in Halifax is on Jan. 12 against the division-leading Moncton Magic at 7 p.m. Buy your tickets at the Ticket Atlantic Box Office or online.
Images from this story
Halifax Hurricanes forward Gabe Freeman (left) eyes the hoop vs. the Saint John Riptide
Halifax Hurricanes guard Joel Kindred (left) defends against the Saint John Riptide
Halifax Hurricanes defend against the Saint John Riptide
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from January 2, 2019
- Saint John Loses Close One in Dying Seconds to Hurricanes - Saint John Riptide
- Poole Dominates in Saint John with 39 Points in Win over Riptide - Halifax Hurricanes
- Grandy Glaze to Finish Season in Chile - Sudbury Five
- Five Open 2019 at Home Friday - Sudbury Five
- Riptide Back in Action at Harbour Station Tonight - Saint John Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Hurricanes Stories
- Hurricanes Overcome First Place Magic in Big Holiday Monday Win
- Hurricanes Push Back against Riptide for Exciting Home-Court Win
- Hurricanes Handle St. John's Behind Big 31-Point Game from Mike Poole
- Hurricanes Win Big in Charlottetown
- Hurricanes Strike Lighting with Fourth-Quarter Comeback Win