Pleau Named Oil Kings Head Coach
Edmonton, AB -- The Edmonton Oil Kings today announced the hiring of Steve Pleau as their Head Coach. Pleau was the Assistant Coach of the Spokane Chiefs (WHL) last season, and helped the team advance to the playoffs for the first time in three years with a record of 36-28-4-4. Prior to that, Pleau spent eight years working for the St. Louis Blues organization, most recently as Head Coach of the AHL's Peoria Rivermen (46-26-3-5), and Assistant Coach with the Worchester IceCats.
"We wanted to bring in a Head Coach who could work well with young players and build our hockey team into a contender, and Steve is certainly that person," said Bob Green, General Manager of the Edmonton Oil Kings. "After doing a great deal of due diligence into the hiring of a Head Coach, I kept coming back to Steve as the ideal candidate for the job. I look forward to working with Steve to build a team that our fans will be proud of, and enjoy watching."
"I'm very excited to have the opportunity to come to Edmonton and coach the Oil Kings," said Steve Pleau. "This is a great opportunity for my family and I to join a quality organization, and work with a very well respected hockey person like Bob Green. I believe that we have the opportunity to build a very successful program that in the future can compete for league championships and Memorial Cups. I look forward to getting settled in Edmonton and begin preparing for training camp."
Steve Pleau has also been involved with the USA National Development Program at various international events, including the Viking Cup, where he was the Head Coach of the USA under-18 team.
NHL DRAFT THIS WEEKEND
The National Hockey League will hold their annual Entry Draft in Columbus, Ohio with the first round taking place on Friday night. Rounds two through seven will be Saturday.
Four Chiefs appeared on the Central Scouting Bureau's final rankings, led by Drayson Bowman at 36th for North American skaters. Defenseman Justin Falk was ranked 74th, center Ondøej Roman 160th and Chris Langkow 204th.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 22, 2007
- Karl Alzner to Washington, Alex Plante to Edmonton - Calgary Hitmen
- Hamill Selected by the Boston Bruins Eighth Overall - Everett Silvertips
- Los Angeles Kings Take Thomas Hickey 4th Overall in 2007 NHL Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Pleau Named Oil Kings Head Coach - Spokane Chiefs
- Season Tickets on Sale Now; Kids Tickets Reduced in Half - Prince George Cougars
- Edmonton Oil Kings Make King Size News - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Beckman Joins Toporowski on NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List
- Riley Woods Named WHL Player of the Week
- Woods' Big Night Not Enough to Overcome Portland as Chiefs Lose 8-6
- Larson's First Goal Provides Bright Spot in 6-2 Loss
- Chiefs Best Thunderbirds, Move into Second Place in U.S. Divison