Playoff-Bound New York Enjoys Bye Week Heading into Final Stretch
HARRISON, NJ (October 8, 2013) - After being the first team to clinch a spot in the 2013 MLS Cup Playoffs, the New York Red Bulls are on bye this week with two regular season matches remaining. The Red Bulls maintained their position atop the Eastern Conference and Supporters' Shield standings following a dramatic 2-2 tie with the New England Revolution last Saturday in front of a sold out crowd of 25,219 at Red Bull Arena. Tim Cahill's 97th minute equalizer helped the hosts secure the point and its 10th postseason berth in 11 years.
New York (15-9-8, 53 pts.) enters this week with a two-point lead over second place Sporting Kansas City and a one-point advantage in the Supporters' Shield race over Western Conference leader Real Salt Lake.
The Red Bulls return to action on Sunday, Oct. 20 when they travel to BBVA Compass Stadium to battle the third place Houston Dynamo at 4:00 PM ET (TV: MSG, UniMas; Radio: ESPN Deportes Radio Nueva York 1050 AM). New York will host the Chicago Fire on Sunday, Oct. 27 at 5:00 PM at Red Bull Arena in the season finale for both teams. Tickets for Red Bulls matches are available by calling 1.877.RBSOCCER or logging onto www.newyorkredbulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 8, 2013
- Betting on the Youth - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Houston Dynamo Face Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday Night at BBVA - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Development Update: October 8, 2013 - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire and Quaker Oats Announce Winning "Heart On Your Sleeve" - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Resumes Rivalry with Houston on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Three Sign with Canada U18 - Montreal Impact
- Chivas USA Set to Host 2013 Generation adidas Cup - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Three Timbers Called up for International Duty - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Midfielder Cordell Cato to Join Trinidad & Tobago for Upcoming Friendly - San Jose Earthquakes
- Playoff-Bound New York Enjoys Bye Week Heading into Final Stretch - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United to Host "Noche Latina" on October 12 - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo midfielder Boniek García, defender Jermaine Taylor named to national team rosters - Houston Dynamo
- Members Can Reserve Their Tickets for the Playoffs - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.