Pirates Announce 50 Community Celebrations to Honor the Club's 50 Seasons in Bradenton
The 2018 Spring Training marks an historic milestone for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the City of Bradenton as the Club celebrates its 50th season in Bradenton and Manatee, County. To commemorate 50 seasons in Bradenton, the Club will launch "50 Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness" today, Monday, February 12, when pitchers and catchers report to camp.
To start the "50 Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness" campaign, Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle will visit the Center for Anna Maria Island this afternoon to present a check to the Center to assist in a field renovation project as part of the Pirates Charities "Fields for Kids" program.
The "50 Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness" campaign will include Pirates players, coaches and front office staff taking part in 50 different community-driven events and acts of kindness during their time in Bradenton this spring.
Since 1969, the Pirates have called Bradenton the team's southern home and over that time have continued to enhance its commitment to supporting the local community. The Pirates maintain a year-round presence in the Bradenton community and, while there, the Major League players and staff are encouraged to take part in community events during the spring season, with the minor league players and staff continuing the support throughout the Bradenton Marauders' (High-A) and the Gulf Coast Pirates' (Rookie) seasons.
Every year, players throughout all levels of the organization are encouraged to volunteer and give back to the communities in which they play through the Pirates Community Commitment Program (PCCP). The program is an organization-wide community service initiative promoting volunteerism and providing benefit to the community, the individual player and the organization.
The events slated for the first week of the "50 Community Celebrations and Acts of Kindness" are below.
1. Monday, February 12 (5 p.m.)-- Check Presentation to the Center for Anna Maria Island
- Pirates Manager Clint Hurdle and Pirates Charities will take part in a check presentation to the Center for Anna Maria Island through Pirates Charities "Fields for Kids" program.
Address: 407 Magnolia Ave, Anna Maria, FL 34216
2. Monday, February 12 (6 to 8 p.m.)-- Opening Reception and Press Conference at the Manatee County Downtown Central Library
- The Pirates will take part in the launch of a new traveling exhibit, "Baseball in Manatee County: 50 Years of Pittsburgh Pirates Spring Training," a rotating exhibit of memorabilia. The initiative is a joint effort between the Pirates, Manatee County and the Manatee County Downtown Central Library systems to highlight the City of Bradenton over its 50-year partnership with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Pirates Alumni and broadcaster Steve Blass will attend. Address: 1301 Barcarrota Boulevard West, Bradenton, FL
3. Wednesday, February 14 (10 a.m. to Noon)-- Meal Service to the Hungry at Our Daily Bread of Bradenton
- Our Daily Bread of Bradenton is a community-driven organization devoted to feeding the hungry and proudly serve an average of 250 men, women and children daily. Pirates representatives will help serve meals and hand out travel-sized toiletry kits, donated by Pirates Charities. Address: 701 18th Ave W, Bradenton, FL 34205
4. Thursday, February 15 (11:30 - Noon)-- Meals on Wheels PLUS of Manatee County, Daybreak Adult Day Center
- Marty the Marauder, along with Pirates staff, will help serve lunch for the Meals on Wheels PLUS Daybreak Adult Day Center. The Adult Day Center offers a safe, secure environment with social, recreational, and therapeutic activities designed to meet the needs of the participants. Today, Pirates Charities will provide a complimentary lunch for everyone at the Day Center. Address: 10920 State Road 70 East, Bradenton, FL 34202
5. Friday, February 16 (8:30 a.m.)-- National Caregivers Day
- The Pirates and Pirates Charities will deliver complimentary coffee and donuts to the Braden River Care Center as part of the Pirates Senior and Caregivers Expo.
Address: 2010 Manatee Avenue E., Bradenton, FL 34208
6. Saturday, February 17 (8:30 a.m.)-- Manatee Cal Ripken Baseball Opening Day Festivities
- The Pirates and Pirates Charities will participate in the Manatee Cal Ripken Baseball Association Opening Day celebration and will make a donation to assist with complimentary concessions for the event. The Pirates will also be handing out Pirates "Play Ball" whiffle bats to the nearly 300 kids in attendance. Address: Heritage Harbor Cal Ripken Baseball, Bradenton, FL 34212
6. Saturday, February 17 (5 p.m. to 9 p.m.)-- Pirates Pep Rally
- The annual street festival on Old Main Street is the "official" start to Spring Training Baseball in Bradenton. Activities will feature a photo booth, player appearances and free autographs, games, live music, face painting, various vendors and more. There will be a short program on the main stage beginning at 5:30 p.m.
Location: Old Main Street, downtown Bradenton
7. Sunday, February 18 (time TBD)-- Palmetto High School Students BP Participation - Today the Palmetto High School Baseball Team will be guests of the Pirates at Pirate City. The students will have the opportunity to take part in Pirates workouts in the outfield, receive a tour of the facilities and be treated to lunch in the Pirates Sports Nutrition Center.
Location: Pirate City
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from February 12, 2018
- Pirates Announce 50 Community Celebrations to Honor the Club's 50 Seasons in Bradenton - Bradenton Marauders
- Tortugas to Participate in "Copa de la Diversion" - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bradenton Marauders Stories
- 2018 Bradenton Marauders Promotional Schedule Set
- Bradenton Boosters Make Annual Donation to Pirates Charities
- Pirates Hosting Grapefruit League Play Ball Event
- Military Appreciation Day at LECOM Park Thursday, March 8
- Pirates & Marauders Announce Florida Ops Staff Updates for 2018