Pioneers Top Coaches Poll For Sixth Straight Week
May 30, 2007 - arenafootball2 (af2) News Release
CHICAGO - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers have maintained the No. 1 ranking of the Weekly Coaches Poll for the sixth straight week, the arenafootball2 (af2) league office announced today. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton collected 461 of a possible 464 points and 27-of-30 first place votes in securing the top position. The Pioneers, who are the only undefeated team in the league at 8-0, scored a convincing 71-46 home win in Week 9 against Albany.
The Rio Grande Valley Dorados (7-1, 396 points, 2 first place votes) took over the No. 2 position this week after a 49-44 home win Saturday against Amarillo. Also moving up in the ranks is South Georgia and Arkansas. The Wildcats (6-2, 393 points) and Twisters (6-2, 364 points) each moved up two spots to No. 3 and No. 4 overall, respectively. South Georgia earned added respect for its 60-46 road win at Bossier-Shreveport, who entered Week 9 tied at No. 3 in the poll. Arkansas was also impressive with its 36-19 road win at Tulsa, handing the No. 2 Talons their first loss of 2007. Tulsa (7-1, 357 points, 1 first place vote) slipped to No. 5 overall.
Each week during the season af2 coaches will vote for the Top 16 teams in the league by ranking them one through 16 on a ballot. Teams ranked first receive 16 points with the point value decreasing by one for each place below first, meaning a team ranked 16th would receive one point. Total points will determine the Top 16 list. In the event of a tie in total points, the team with the greater number of first-place votes will be ranked higher. The af2 Coaches Poll will be announced every Wednesday during the regular season. Coaches are not allowed to vote for their own team and the poll -results have no bearing on postseason qualification.
The complete Top 16 is listed below. The number in parentheses indicates the number of first place votes the team received.
WEEK 10 TOP 16
RANK, TEAM, PTS
1, W-B/Scranton, 461 (27)
2, Rio Gra. Valley, 396 (2)
3, South Georgia, 393
4, Arkansas, 364
5, Tulsa, 357 (1)
6, Bossier-Shrev., 286
7, Florida, 285
8, Spokane, 197
9, Alabama, 180
10, Oklahoma City, 169
11, Quad City, 166
12, Tri-Cities, 165
13, Green Bay, 163
14, Louisville, 122
15, Manchester, 101
16, Bakersfield, 84
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from May 30, 2007
- Florida Firecats game notes - Florida Firecats
- Sharks Weekly Release - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Xtreme Sharks Merchandise - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Yard Dawgz Game Preview - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Green Bay Blizzard vs. Louisville Fire Game Preview - Green Bay Blizzard
- Lubbock Makes Trade / Highshaw Earns Cutters Catch of the Week - Lubbock Renegades
- Crusade for Children - Louisville Fire Arena Football Throw - Louisville Fire
- Wolves Garnering Accolades - Manchester Wolves
- Steeldogs Face Divisional Rival Florida - Alabama Steeldogs
- "Blizzard" Forecasted for Louisville on Saturday - Louisville Fire
- Pioneers Top Coaches Poll For Sixth Straight Week - af2
- Blitz to Host Third BLITZ WOW! (Women of Wisdom) Seminar - Bakersfield Blitz
- Swinton Retires - Arkansas Diamonds
- Thunder Acquire Two in Trades - Mahoning Valley Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.