Pink in the Rink Weekend to Benefit Step up to Cancer
DENVER - The Denver Cutthroats have chosen Step Up for Cancer as the beneficiary of "Pink in the Rink" weekend, presented by 9News, on February 8 and 9, 2013. The Cutthroats will host the Fort Worth Brahmas for games both Friday and Saturday, with puck drop at 7:05 p.m. each night. Prior to the Saturday game former NHL players will take on a team of police and fire personnel from the Metro Denver area. All games will take place at the Denver Coliseum.
Step Up for Cancer is a unique fundraising and awareness stair climb event in which more than 40 cancer non-profits participate. With an estimated 20,000 people in Colorado being diagnosed with cancer each year, this event was developed to create a collaborative environment to initiate awareness, fundraising and education in an active event to ultimately, bridge a cure for cancer. Never before have so many non-profits come together under one roof to support each other in the fight against cancer. Moving in to its fifth year, Step Up for Cancer has put over $400,000 back into the local cancer community.
"We designed this event to rally all generations in Colorado to Step Up in the most meaningful way and make an impact within our community," said Amy Venturi, Event Director for Step Up for Cancer. "We are thrilled to have been selected as the beneficiary of this wonderful event because it gives us another opportunity to raise awareness and funds for our participating non-profits in advance of our event in August."
"With Step Up for Cancer as our beneficiary and partner, we are able to broadly support the cancer community of Colorado and allow our fans' contributions to go farther than just one organization," added Cutthroats Community Relations Director, Allie Hefter. A small portion of proceeds raised during the weekend will also go to the organization's 501c3 to support youth hockey in Colorado.
Throughout the weekend there will be multiple opportunities to contribute to Step Up for Cancer, including a jersey auction of the specialty jerseys worn by the Denver Cutthroats, as well as the All-Star and Heroes players in the celebrity game. All-Star players scheduled to appear include former Colorado Avalanche players Rick Berry, Scott Parker, Adam Foote, Eric Lacroix, Joe Sakic, and Stephane Yelle, former Denver Grizzlies players Jeff Sirkka and Cutthroats head coach Derek Armstrong. Ken Klee, Bob House and Phil Crowe will also play on the team.
The celebrity game will consist of two 20-minute periods. Doors open at 3:00 PM to those who have purchased a ticket to the Cutthroats game later that night. All tickets are good for both games and five dollars of every ticket sold will go to charity.
For more information on the event, contact the Cutthroats front office at 303-295-FISH (3474). Updated information can also be found on denvercutthroats.com. For more information on Step Up for Cancer, please go to the organization's website at www.stepupforcancer.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 28, 2013
- Bloomington Blaze Weekly - Bloomington Blaze
- Shots from the Point for January 28, 2013 - CHL
- Pink in the Rink Weekend to Benefit Step up to Cancer - Denver Cutthroats
- Robinson Selected as Oakley Player of the Week - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Matt Robinson Named Oakley CHL Player of the Week - CHL
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Brahmas Weekly Update - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers Weekly News and Notes - Tulsa Oilers
- Cutthroats Weekly Update - Denver Cutthroats
- Tigers Outfielder Dirks To Drop Puck Tomorrow Night - Wichita Thunder
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster