Phoenix Rising Poised to Take over First Place, Clinch Playoff Spot with Win
PHOENIX - Phoenix Rising FC have a chance to jump into first place in the Western Conference and clinch a playoff spot, when it travels to Cheney Field to face Seattle Sounders FC 2 on Saturday night. The match kicks off at 7:00pm, and fans can watch locally on Yurview Arizona, Cox channels 4&1004 in Phoenix and 7&1007 in Tucson. Fans can also stream the match nationwide on ESPN+. The match will also be live on the radio on El Patron 93.7 FM (Spanish language).
Phoenix Rising FC (16-7-5) enters Saturday's game as the third in the Western Conference with 53 points just one point behind both Real Monarchs SLC and Orange County SC. With a victory over Seattle Sounders FC 2, Rising FC will leapfrog Real Monarchs SLC and Orange County SC into the top spot in the conference as both are idle on Saturday.
A win could potentially clinch a playoff spot for Rising as well. If Saint Louis FC draws or loses its match on Saturday, then a Phoenix RIsing win would clinch a playoff spot.
Forward Chris Cortez has the opportunity to make history once again this weekend. Scoring a pair of goals last weekend, Cortez set the club record for the most goals scored in a single season with 15. He is just two shy of the most goals scored in club history, which is currently held by Long Tan and his 29 goals.
Seattle Sounders FC 2 is currently 16th in the Western Conference with 20 points. The team is winless in their last six games, picking up draws in half of those matchups. They are coming off a 3-0 defeat against Sacramento Republic FC on the road last weekend.
Saturday will be the second meeting between the two clubs this year. Phoenix won the last matchup, 1-0, at the Phoenix Rising Soccer Complex in July. Phoenix also has the upper-hand in the all-time series, 5-2-0, having picked up wins in three straight against Seattle.
Fans are invited to attend one of the official watch parties on Saturday. In Glendale, fans can come out to Tim Finnegan's (17045 N 59th Avenue, #103). In Scottsdale; fans are invited to Pig & Pickle (2922 N Hayden Road) and Vines & Hops (4216 N Brown Avenue). The game kicks off at 7:00pm.
Game 29 - Phoenix Rising FC at Seattle Sounders FC 2
Date: Saturday, September 15
Stadium: Cheney Field (Tacoma, WA)
Phoenix Rising FC: 16-7-5, 53 pts
Seattle Sounders FC 2: 5-17-5, 20 pts
Hashtags: #RisingAsOne #SEAvPHX
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 14, 2018
- Game Notes: Sounders FC 2 vs. Phoenix Rising FC - September 15, 2018 - Tacoma Defiance
- Republic FC Sign Mario Penagos to 'Academy Player on Professional Team' Contract - Sacramento Republic FC
- STLFC Academy Hires John Roeslein as Head of Scouting - Saint Louis FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United 2 vs Tampa Bay Rowdies - Atlanta United 2
- Phoenix Rising Poised to Take over First Place, Clinch Playoff Spot with Win - Phoenix Rising FC
- Lights FC Closes Mexican Independence Day Looking for Season Sweep of Portland Timbers 2 - Las Vegas Lights FC
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Tulsa Roughnecks FC - San Antonio FC
- Kickers Sign Russell and Pascale - Richmond Kickers
- Louisville City FC Signs University of Kentucky Standout Napo Matsoso for Remainder of 2018 Season - Louisville City FC
- Match Preview | Ottawa Fury FC at Richmond Kickers - Ottawa Fury FC
- Playoff Race Heads North for North Carolina FC Matchup at Penn FC - North Carolina FC
- Kickers Return to City Stadium, Host Ottawa Saturday - Richmond Kickers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Midfielder Solomon Asante Named to USL Team of the Week
- Phoenix Rising Routs Las Vegas 4-0
- Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Home Unbeaten Streak in League Play
- Phoenix Rising Eliminated from U.S. Open Cup in Penalties
- Phoenix Rising Forward Adam Jahn Named USL Player of the Week