Philadelphia Union Unveil New 2021 Secondary Kit
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today unveiled the new 2021 secondary kit featuring a never-before-seen style and color template in the team's ten-year history. The "BY|U" kit is a first for many reasons, the lightning pattern and bold blue and yellow, but most importantly, this jersey was designed start-to-finish by a group of fans, the Union Creators' Collective.
"The new kit is truly by the fans, by 'the U'. Fans wanted colors influenced by the flags of the Delaware Valley, a design inspired by innovation born in our city, and they wanted to shock the soccer world," said Doug Vosik, Chief Marketing Officer, Philad elphia Union. "This kit is Philadelphia. The gritty, beautiful, diverse, creative place that we all love. As a Philly native and an original season ticket holder years before working at the Union, I have not had a prouder moment in bringing our community together to shape the future of our club. "
In 2019, the Union Creators' Collective was formed to build a group of fans that would participate in every step of the jersey design process including building and creating the creative brief that went to Adidas, giving feedback to concepts and art, and reviewing samples well before launch. The Collective met countless times over the course of two years both in the Union's office and, during COVID, through social distanced home visits by Union employees to solicit feedback on designs and samples. The Collective includes season ticket holders, Sons of Ben members, Union super fans, members of the media, and Union employees and players.
The Blue and Yellow Union kit, or the "BY|U" kit, features a blue base with a tonal lightning pattern with bolt yellow accents bringing to life what could be called the most famous science experiment in history. Lightning is unpredictable, but it strikes with a speed and sudden power that electrifies everything in its path. This symbolizes the Union's unique and energetic style of play.
On the left chest sits the Union's logo in colors derived from the flags of Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Delaware and are also a nod to the branding of Union supporters' group, the Sons of Ben. After making history in 2020 as the first MLS club to have multiple partner logos on their home kit (Bimbo) and away kits (Artesano); Artesano, a brand of long-time jersey sponsor Bimbo Bakeries USA, remains as the primary sponsor for the secondary kit.
"Energy and persistence conquer all" is featured on the necktape, a quote attributed to Benjamin Frankl in and his belief that nothing could defeat the combination just like this city and team. Lastly, flying high above the player name and number, there's a kite and key icon on the back of the jersey . Innovation is in Philadelphia's DNA, and never more clearly than when electricity was harnessed from the sky with only a kite and a key.
The 2021 "BY|U" kit will go on pre-order February 3 at 10:00AM ET exclusively for Kit Launch Experience attendees. It will go on sale at MLSStore.com and Adidas.com on February 5 at 10:00AM ET. For every jersey pre-ordered in the exclusive window or purchased at the kit launch experience on February 5, 6, 8, and February 12-14 , official jersey sponsor Bimbo will donate five loaves of Artesano bread, up to 2,500 loaves, to the food insecure population of Chester through CityTeam.
The 2021 Kit Launch experiential event will take place Feb. 5, 6, and 8 and February 12-14 at Subaru Park. Subaru and the Union are collecting and donating soccer equipment for the love of our Philadelphia Area Communities. Fans can bring new or gently used soccer gear to the Kit Launch experience for local youth soccer programs.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 3, 2021
- CF Montreal Acquires Forward Bjorn Johnsen - Club de Foot Montreal
- Karifa Yao and Keesean Ferdinand Loaned to Canadian Premier League - Club de Foot Montreal
- Nashville SC Acquires Attacking Winger and Uruguayan Champion Rodrigo Pineiro - Nashville SC
- Timbers Acquire Defender Josecarlos Van Rankin on Loan from Liga MX Side C.D. Guadalajara - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC and Austin-Based Waterloo Sparkling Water Become Official Partners - Austin FC
- Atlanta United re-signs Erick "Cubo" Torres - Atlanta United FC
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Defender Jonathan Suarez - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Unveil New 2021 Secondary Kit - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Nicolas Isimat-Mirin - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Andre Blake makes five saves, earns his 39th MLS career clean sheet
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Agreement for FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast Partner
- 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals Schedule Confirmed
- Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25
- Union advance to the quarter-final of the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League