Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Alvas Powell
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that they have signed defender Alvas Powell as a free agent to a one-year minimum senior contract. The Jamaican international joins the Concacaf Champions League semifinal-bound Union with almost eight years' experience in Major League Soccer, including a MLS Cup winning season in 2015 with Portland Timbers.
"We are excited to add Alvas to our defensive unit. He brings almost eight years of MLS experience to the club as well as the mentality and work ethic it takes to win a cup," said Ernst Tanner, Philadelphia Union Sporting Director. "He has the physicality required to contribute to all phases of play and adds important depth to our backline."
Powell, who holds a green card, came to Major League Soccer after spending time at Portmore United FC. He was loaned to Portland Timbers in 2013 and made a permanent transfer to the Timbers in 2015, the same year he played an integral part in the Timbers' run to winning the MLS Cup. After spending three seasons with Portland, he went on to play at FC Cincinnati and Inter Miami CF. He last played at the Sudanese club Al-Hilal.
Internationally, Powell has been a stalwart on the Jamaican National Team, where he plays alongside Andre Blake and Cory Burke, and with whom he has earned 49 caps and scored two goals. His debut for the Reggae Boyz came in December of 2012 in the Caribbean Cup. He was also part of the championship-winning squad of the 2014 Caribbean Cup. Powell has played an important role in three of Jamaica's Gold Cup runs, in 2015, 2017 and 2019, where he helped lead the team to two finals and one semi-final. Additionally, Powell has played in a number of World Cup qualifiers and international friendlies. In a 2019 Concacaf Nations League match, Powell scored a brace in 4-0 win over Guyana for his first international goals.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign defender Alvas Powell on June 10, 2021.
Name: Alvas Powell
Born: July 18, 1994
Hometown: St. Thomas, Jamaica
Birthplace: St. Thomas, Jamaica
Acquired: Philadelphia Union acquire defender Alvas Powell on June 10, 2021.
Previous Experience: Al-Hilal, Inter Miami CF, FC Cincinnati, Portland Timbers
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 10, 2021
- Columbus Crew Players and Staff Presented with 2020 MLS Cup Championship Ring - Columbus Crew SC
- Josef Martínez and Ronald Hernández called up to Venezuela national team for Copa América 2021 - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Forward Robert Berić Receives U.S. Green Card - Chicago Fire FC
- Sounders FC and OL Reign Announce Doubleheader Matchday at Lumen Field this August - Seattle Sounders FC
- Emerson Hyndman Suffers Torn ACL in Right Knee - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Announces New Partnership with Hyperice - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy to Host Welcome Home Tailgate, Presented by Modelo, on June 19 in Conjunction with Return to Capacity Stadium - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Loans Tate Schmitt to Phoenix Rising FC - Real Salt Lake
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Alvas Powell - Philadelphia Union
- Christian Fuchs: "2022 Cannot Come Quick EnoughÃ¢ÂÂ - Charlotte FC
- New York Red Bulls Extend Fábio Loan to the End of the Season - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC Tickets on Sale Today at 10:00 a.m. CT for Upcoming Games on June 23 and 26 - Chicago Fire FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Daniel Gazdag scores his first career MLS goal; Andre Blake and the Union earn their seventh clean sheet
- Philadelphia Union Defender Kai Wagner Named to 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- Kai Wagner scores his first goal of the season from a free-kick
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jesús Bueno
- Forward Kacper Przybylko scores his sixth goal of the MLS regular season