Phil Tomasino Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp
Oshawa, ON - Hockey Canada announced today that Oshawa Generals forward Phil Tomasino has been invited to participate in Team Canada's World Junior Hockey Championship (WJHC) selection camp.
Tomasino, the Mississauga, Ont., native is entering his first full season with the Generals. Last season, Tomasino was acquired from the Niagara IceDogs for multiple draft picks. In 26 games with the team, he scored 18 goals and added 25 assists. He finished fourth in league scoring with 100 points. He was the first General to hit the century point mark since alumni John Tavares and Brett MacLean both hit the milestone in 2009.
Drafted in the first round (24th overall) by the Nashville Predators in the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, the 6â², 181-pound forward joined the Predators in the NHL bubble during the recent playoffs. Tomasino signed an entry-level contract with the club in October of 2019.
Internationally, Tomasino has represented Canada on two other occasions. In 2017, he played for Team Black at the U17 World Hockey Challenge in Dawson Creek and Fort St. John, BC. In five games, Tomasino had one assist. In 2019, he represented Canada at the U18 World Junior Championship in Ornskoldsvik and Umea, Sweden. In six games, he scored one goal and added four assists.
"In a year where it is hard to find hockey positives, this proves to be a big one," General Manager Roger Hunt said. "We are so proud of Phillip and how he played for us. I'm not one bit surprised at him being included in the Team Canada WJT roster. Phil's a dynamic game-breaking type player which any team should covet. We will be wishing Phil all the best out west and watching with pride,"
Team Canada's WJHC selection camp begins on November 16 in Red Deer, Alta., before the tournament kicks off in December on Christmas Day.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2020
- 18 OHL Players Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - OHL
- Clarke and Quinn Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Ottawa 67's
- Start Date Moved to February 4 - North Bay Battalion
- Season Ticket Holder Update - Soo Greyhounds
- OHL Postpones Start Date for the 2020/2021 Season - Barrie Colts
- O'Rourke Invited to National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- Harley & Schwindt Invited to WJT Selection Camp - Mississauga Steelheads
- Phil Tomasino Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Oshawa Generals
- OHL Announces Updated Timeline for 2020-21 Season - Peterborough Petes
- Jamieson Rees Named to National Junior Team Selection Camp - Sarnia Sting
- Four Spirit Players Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Saginaw Spirit
- Donovan Sebrango Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Kitchener Rangers
- OHL Announces Updated Timeline for 2020-21 Season - OHL
- Colts Announce Halloween Costume Contest - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.