OHL Announces Updated Timeline for 2020-21 Season
October 29, 2020 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The Ontario Hockey League today announced an updated timeline on its Return to Play plan for the 2020-21 season as it continues to work with government and health agencies to finalize outstanding matters that help ensure the health and safety of all members of the OHL community.
"Although we are eager to get back on the ice, the safety and well-being of our players, staff, officials, tremendous fans and communities remains paramount," said OHL Commissioner David Branch. "We remain committed to providing our players with a safe, first-class development experience as they pursue their professional and academic goals, and we look forward to the planned opening of our Regular Season on Thursday, February 4."
Under the new timelines, OHL Training Camps are scheduled to commence on Saturday, January 23 in preparation for the 2020-21 Regular Season that will feature a 40-game schedule running from Thursday, February 4 through Saturday, May 8. Teams will play primarily against opponents in their geographic region in an effort to reduce travel in consideration of the health and safety of all players and staff. Details concerning the structure of team alignment will be made available upon release of the 2020-21 OHL Regular Season schedule.
A total of eight teams will qualify for the 2021 OHL Playoffs in pursuit of the J. Ross Robertson Cup that get underway on Tuesday, May 11. The OHL Playoffs will consist of three rounds, the first being a best-of-five opening round, followed by two best-of-seven formats to crown a League champion by no later than Monday, June 14. The 2021 Memorial Cup presented by Kia is scheduled to begin Thursday, June 17 in either Oshawa or Sault Ste. Marie.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2020
- 18 OHL Players Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - OHL
- Clarke and Quinn Invited to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Ottawa 67's
- Start Date Moved to February 4 - North Bay Battalion
- Season Ticket Holder Update - Soo Greyhounds
- OHL Postpones Start Date for the 2020/2021 Season - Barrie Colts
- O'Rourke Invited to National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- Harley & Schwindt Invited to WJT Selection Camp - Mississauga Steelheads
- Phil Tomasino Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Oshawa Generals
- OHL Announces Updated Timeline for 2020-21 Season - Peterborough Petes
- Jamieson Rees Named to National Junior Team Selection Camp - Sarnia Sting
- Four Spirit Players Named to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Saginaw Spirit
- Donovan Sebrango Invited to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp - Kitchener Rangers
- OHL Announces Updated Timeline for 2020-21 Season - OHL
- Colts Announce Halloween Costume Contest - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.