Perfect No More, Skeeters Lose 5-2
The Skeeters are no longer undefeated at home, after falling 5-2 Wednesday night to the Bridgeport Bluefish. The Bluefish broke a scoreless tie with a two-run third inning, using an RBI double from Prentice Redman, to plate their first run and take a 1-0 lead. Alexis Gomez then singled home Redman to make it 2-0. In the sixth inning, with two outs and runners on first and third, Gary Gaetti made his first call to the bullpen, bringing in Jared Wells. On his first pitch of the game, Wells allowed a home run to deep left field by Yusuf Carter, making it 5-0. The Skeeters would avoid the shutout, thanks to a leadoff triple by Kevin Rios in the eighth. He would score on a fielder's choice off the bat of Anthony Granato. The Skeeters would tack on a run in the ninth to make it 5-2, thanks to a Jason Lane single, but that was all she wrote for the Skeeters offense.
Hunter Jones was quite effective Wednesday night, going eight innings, allowing only one run off five hits, striking out one. Elarton was effective as well, but just could not get out of the sixth inning. Two of the three runs that scored that inning were charged to Elarton. With the loss the Skeeters also snap their seven game winnings streak.
Up Next: The Skeeters are home again on Thursday for a 7:05 p.m. game. The Skeeters send out LHP Bobby Livingston (2-1, 6.11 ERA) who will be opposed by Bluefish RHP Keith Bilodeau (0-1, 3.42 ERA). Thursday will also feature an appearance by Cowboy Monkey.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 15, 2013
- Barnstormers Utilize Late Errors, Rally For Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Perfect No More, Skeeters Lose 5-2 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Revs Drill Ducks With Monster Inning - York Revolution
- Big Fourth Inning Sinks Ducks - Long Island Ducks
- Patriots Top Blue Crabs 7-4 - Somerset Patriots
- Patriots Mike Wilson and Erik Arnesen Have Contracts Purchased by Major League Organizations - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.