Perez Leads Quakes to 4-3 Win over High Desert
Adelanto, CA - Darwin Perez had a pair of RBI two-out hits, including the game-winner, as the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes edged the High Desert Mavericks, 4-3 on Monday night in Adelanto.
Despite moving to a season-high, eight games over the .500 mark at 33-25, the Quakes are still six games back of Lake Elsinore, with just 12 games remaining on the first-half schedule.
In the top of the eighth, Angel Castillo opened the inning with a single off of High Desert reliever Anthony Vasquez (2-2). After Ikko Sumi moved Castillo to second with a sacrifice bunt, Castillo took third on a ground ball by Rian Kiniry. With two outs, Darwin Perez delivered, slapping a single to right field to score what turned out to be the wining run, putting the Quakes ahead to stay at 4-3.
Christian Scholl worked around two walks and a wild pitch in the bottom of the eighth inning, while Eddie McKiernan followed with a perfect ninth, earning his tenth save in the process.
The Quakes built a 3-0 lead before High Desert eventually came back to tie the game.
Mavs' starter Maikel Cleto gave up a first-inning run, as Alexi Amarista knocked in Perez with an RBI single, putting the Quakes up 1-0.
Rancho added a run in the second, as Sumi singled and scored on Tyson Auer's two-out hit, as the Quakes took a 2-0 lead.
Perez picked up his first of two hits in the fourth, as his two-out RBI single brought home Kiniry, making it a 3-0 game.
High Desert finally got to Quakes' starter Pil Joon Jang in the fourth. Edilio Colina opened the inning with a single, then scored on a two-run homer from Dennis Raben, as the Mavs cut the Quakes' lead to 3-2. Two batters later, Johermyn Chavez doubled, then scored on Juan Diaz's RBI single, tying the game at 3-3.
Jang lasted five innings, giving up three runs on seven hits. Kyle Hurst (1-1) followed Jang with two scoreless frames out of the bullpen, picking up his first win of the year.
The Quakes will look to make it three straight wins overall on Tuesday, as they send Patrick Corbin (1-0) to the mound against Mavericks' right-hander Kenn Kasparek. Game time from Mavericks Stadium is 7:05pm.
The Quakes return from their upcoming seven-game road trip on Monday, June 14th, opening a six-game home stand. Tickets are available by calling (909) 481-5000 or online at rcquakes.com. We hope to see you at The Epicenter very soon. Go Quakes!
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Perez Leads Quakes to 4-3 Win over High Desert - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Ports to Pack Park for MLB Network Debut - Stockton Ports
- San Jose Giants Homestand Preview: June 7 13 - San Jose Giants
- 66ers Additional Roster Move 6/7 - Inland Empire 66ers
- San Jose Giants Baseball (6/7/10 on Deck): Modesto Nuts at San Jose Giants, June 7-10 - San Jose Giants
- Promotion-Packed Homestand Begins Monday - Lancaster JetHawks
- Quakes Hold On To Beat JetHawks 6-4 - Lancaster JetHawks
- Giants Earn Series Victory Over Blaze With 4-1 Win - San Jose Giants
- Quakes Take Three Of Four With 4-3 Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.