Pensacola to Play Defending CBL Champs
Pensacola (11-7) travels to play the defending CBL Champion Edinburg Roadrunners (11-8) for a four game series at Edinburg Baseball Stadium. This will be the first meeting of these two teams this season.
Edinburg had the leagues best record in 2004 of 68-27 with Pensacola having the 2nd best record of 55-40.
Last year, the Pelicans and Roadrunners split their season series, each team winning seven games. Edinburg outscored the Pelicans 74 to 65 thanks in part to one nine run and one 10 run victory.
Last season, Joe Espada hit a healthy .383 against Edinburg. He had 18 hits, scored nine runs and 12 RBI all being team highs against Edinburg. Carlos Mendoza hit .327 with seven runs scored and five doubles versus the Roadrunners.
Edinburg outfielder Eric Gonzalez hit .333 with seven RBI last season against the Pels. Of the expected starters for the Roadrunners, only Eric Montoya returns from last season. Pensacola managed to rough up Montoya, scoring 10 runs over 12.1 innings in his two starts.
Pensacola enters the series in sole possession of second place, two games behind leader Fort Worth. Edinburg is currently third, a half game behind the Pelicans.
This is a reminder that the Coaches Corner hosted by Jay Burnham with manager Bernie Carbo has been rescheduled to tomorrow, Friday, May 27 at 5:30 on AM 1620. The show has been moved to every Friday for the remainder of the season. Jay and Bernie will be talking about what has happened and about the weekend series coming up. Various "Special Guests" will also be appearing on the show to give talk Pelicans baseball and sports with Burnham. This is one show you do not want to miss.
• Discuss this story on the Central Baseball League message board...
Central Baseball League Stories from May 26, 2005
- Cats blank Senators 2-0, sweep series - Fort Worth Cats
- Aviators win 4-3 to take series at San Angelo - Coastal Bend Aviators
- San Angelo evens up series with Aviators - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Senators and Entergy pay tribute to Negro Leagues - Jackson Senators
- Pensacola to Play Defending CBL Champs - Pensacola Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Pelicans Stories
- News from Northwest Florida Professional Baseball LLC.
- Pensacola Baseball Sells 500th Season Ticket
- Pels Training Academy Hosts 7th & 8th Grade Prep Skill Camp
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
- Palmisano named to Baseball America first team Independent Baseball team