Penquins Sign Over Deryk Engelland To One-Year Contract
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed defenseman Deryk Engelland to a one-year contract extension, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.
The new contract goes into effect at the start of the 2010-11 season. The deal is a two-way contract and will pay Engelland $500,000 at the NHL level.
Engelland, 28, made his NHL debut this season with Pittsburgh recording two assists and 17 penalty minutes in nine games during a November call up. He played his first career NHL game at Boston on Nov 10. Engelland posted his first career point (assist) Nov. 16 against Anaheim. He also had a plus-3 rating against the Ducks.
The 6-foot-2, 202-pound defenseman played the majority of the season with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, putting up 11 points (5G-6A), a plus-10 rating and 121 penalty minutes in 71 contests. He added an assist in four postseason games.
Engelland posted 42 points (10G-32A), 405 penalty minutes and a plus-11 rating in 231 games in his career with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He added six points (1G-6A) and 27 penalty minutes in 39 playoff games and helped Wilkes-Barre/Scranton earn a berth in the Calder Cup Final in 2008.
Engelland has been a steady presence on the blue line for WBS, appearing in all of the club's 160 regular-season and 35 postseason contests in his first two seasons after signing with the team in July, 2007. His streak was broken this year when he missed nine games while playing in the NHL with Pittsburgh.
The six-year pro has paid his dues with stints in Las Vegas, South Carolina and Reading of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL), and Lowell, Hershey and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the AHL.
The Edmonton, Alberta native played five seasons of junior hockey with Moose Jaw of the Western Hockey League.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 19, 2010
- Graham Sends Stars Past Bulldogs in OT, Texas Trims Series Lead to 2-1 - Texas Stars
- IceHogs Hockey Club T-Shirts 50% Off until End of May - Rockford IceHogs
- Wednesday's Game Postponed, Double Header Thursday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Barons coming to Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Barons
- Blues Re-Sign Adam Cracknell - Peoria Rivermen
- Griffins' Paek To Read To School Children On Thursday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Lake Monster For A Day Contest/Join Champ's Kids Club - Cleveland Monsters
- Worchester Sharks Raise Over $100,000 For Charities - Worcester Sharks
- Texas Hosts Hamilton Tonight - Texas Stars
- Senators Sign Forward Ryan Keller To One-Year Contract - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Morning Skate - AHL
- Penquins Sign Over Deryk Engelland To One-Year Contract - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Race to the Calder Cup Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Set To Open Their Ball Hockey Schedule - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Weekly: Penguins Defense Clamps Down in Last Two Wins
- RECAP: DeSmith Records 35-Save Shutout in 2-0 Win over Crunch
- Penguins Score Twice in 34 Seconds, Beat Comets. 2-1
- Penguins Bested by Phantoms, 4-2
- Weekly: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Making a Habit of Sudden-Death Overtime