Penguins Toppled by Bears
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Hershey Bears kept the offense of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at bay for the second straight night, sweeping the home-and-home series with a 4-1 decision at Mohegan Sun Arena at the Casey Plaza.
The Bears' Garrett Mitchell struck early again against the Penguins, just 3:32 into the first period. Zach Hamill tossed a cross-crease pass that dropped down at the feet of Mitchell, who backhanded the puck past the outstretched leg of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goalie Jeff Zatkoff.
Hershey continued its offensive push in the second period, scoring twice in the frame. Steve Oleksy finished off a three-on-two rush for his first of the year, beating the Penguins goalie on the blocker side at the 5:55 mark.
With 1:30 left in the middle period, the Bears added another tally when Mathieu Beaudoin cashed in on the man-advantage to give Hershey a 3-0 lead going into the third period.
Zatkoff was lifted to start the third as Brad Thiessen came in for relief work in the final 20 minutes of action.
Paul Thompson cut the lead to two 4:52 into the final frame with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on the power-play. Thompson redirected a point shot from Joseph Morrow past netminder Dany Sabourin for his ninth goal of the season.
The Bears would cement the victory with a Boyd Kane wrist shot that beat Thiessen over the glove hand with 1:39 left in regulation.
Zatkoff took the loss with 12 saves on 15 shots over two periods of play. Thiessen stopped 3-of-4 in the third. Sabourin turned aside 26 for the Bears.
The Penguins will host the Norfolk Admirals Saturday, December 29 at 7:05 at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Holiday Hat Trick and Stocking Stuffer ticket packages are available now by contacting the Penguins directly at 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 27, 2012
- Ellis, Smith Guide Admirals Past Rivermen 2-1 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Hogs Hold on to Win 3-2 - Rockford IceHogs
- Oklahoma City Stymies Texas 5-4 - Texas Stars
- Falcons' Late Surge Comes Up A Post Short - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Score Late; Beat Rivermen 2-1 - Peoria Rivermen
- Wolves Edged in Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Sound Tigers Shut out Whale 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Whale Blanked by Bridgeport - Connecticut Whale
- Penguins Toppled by Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Dispatch Penguins to Sweep Home-And-Home Set - Hershey Bears
- Devils Earn Divisional Win at Springfield - Albany Devils
- Only Single Seats Remain for Friday's Amerks-Monsters Game - Rochester Americans
- Griffins Face Marlies and IceHogs to Continue Seven-Game Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Three Reassigned to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dallas Reassigns Austin Smith to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Illinois Lottery Cup Showdown Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Heat Recall David Eddy - Abbotsford Heat
- Barons Sign Forward Erick Lizon to PTO - Oklahoma City Barons
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Houston Aeros Assign Caron and Petersen to Orlando - Houston Aeros
- P-Bruins Game in Portland Postponed - Providence Bruins
- Portland Pirates Game Tonight Postponed - Portland Pirates
- AHL Game Postponed, Rescheduled - St. John's IceCaps
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Albany, Game #28 - Springfield Falcons
- Phantoms Weekly - Happy New Year - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Score Early, But Lose Game Two at Charlotte, 4-1
- Penguins Lose Game One to Checkers in Overtime, 3-2
- Joseph Masonius Signed to ATO, AHL Contract for 2018-19
- Sam Miletic Reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
- Penguins Finish Season Strong, Prepare for First Round Series with Checkers