Penguins Sign Tom Kostopoulos to AHL Deal
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins have signed Tom Kostopoulos to an AHL contract, it was announced today.
Kostopoulos, 34, returns to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for his third stint as a Penguin, and is the organization's all-time leader in games played (335), goals (100), assists (153) and points (253). He also ranks first on the team's playoff scoring list with 38 points (11G-27A) in 51 games.
Now entering his 15th year of professional hockey, Kostopoulos was originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the seventh round (204th overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft, and was a member of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins inaugural team in 1999-2000.
In 2001-02, he led Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in scoring with 53 points (27G-26A) in 70 games, while earning a selection to the AHL All-Star Game. He also made his NHL debut with Pittsburgh during the season.
After eight seasons away from Northeast Pennsylvania, Kostopoulos returned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton roster this past January, signing a tryout contract with the club. He posted seven points (3+4) in 17 games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, including his 100th career goal with the club on March 1 against the Hershey Bears.
Kostopoulos inked an NHL deal with the Pittsburgh Penguins on March 5, however he was claimed by the New Jersey Devils on waivers before suiting up a second time for the NHL Penguins. He recorded one goal and 18 penalty minutes in 15 games with the Devils.
Kostopoulos has appeared in 630 NHL games with Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Montreal, Carolina, Calgary and New Jersey, totaling 61 goals, 96 assists, 157 points and 723 penalty minutes.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton season ticket packages, including 22-game, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by contacting the Penguins directly at 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 3, 2013
- Flames Open 2013 Prospects Training Camp - Abbotsford Heat
- Several Griffins to Take Part in NHL Prospects Tournament - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Jets Hire Mike Keane as Player Development - St. John's IceCaps
- Comets Corner with Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher - Utica Comets
- IceCaps' Ten-Game Ticket Packages on Sale Saturday - St. John's IceCaps
- Albany Devils Reveal "Opening Night Bundle" - Albany Devils
- Wolves Bring Back Regner - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack, Dunkin' Donuts Partner for Special Ticket Opportunity - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Season Ticket Holder Parking Options Released - Binghamton Senators
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Penguins Sign Tom Kostopoulos to AHL Deal - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Mid-Week Home Game against Devils
- Ryan Scarfo Recalled by Penguins
- Penguins Drop 5-1 Decision at Hershey
- Penguins Lose Home Opener in Overtime, 4-3
- Penguins Fall to Phantoms, 4-1