Pena Walk-Off Bunt Wins First Game for Pelicans
After Thursday's game was suspended in the middle of the top of the sixth due to rain, the contest was picked back up on Friday night with the Birds walking off winners in a dramatic 1-0 final over the Columbia Fireflies. With Ryan Reynolds leading off the ninth inning with a triple, Raymond Pena came up two batters later and laid down a bunt back to the pitcher. While the throw to the plate was in time, Reynolds slid underneath the glove of Omar Hernandez to score the only run of the game and give the Pelicans the win. This victory pushes Myrtle Beach to 14-13 on the season, while the Fireflies drop to 17-10 on the season.
DJ Herz started the game for Myrtle Beach on Thursday night and was masterful on the mound. the 20-year-old tossed four hitless innings with a career-high nine strikeouts on 12 batters. The win went to Bailey Reid (1-1) after the right-hander pitched the final two-thirds of the game.
The Pelicans came together for six hits total, with five coming after the sixth inning on Friday. Pena (1-4, 2B, RBI) brought home the winning run with a suicide squeeze bunt in the ninth, and Reynolds (1-4, 3B, R) scored after leading off the ninth inning with a triple to left-center field.
The Birds' pitching staff held Columbia to just two hits through the two nights, a new season-low. Juan Carlos Negret (1-4) and Omar Hernandez (1-3) were the only Fireflies to hit safely.
Delvin Capellon started the game for Columbia and threw five innings of one-hit baseball. Anderson Paulino (2-2) came on in relief and took the loss after giving up five Pelican hits and the deciding run.
Due to inclement weather in the surrounding area, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans game with the Columbia Fireflies on Friday, June 4 has been postponed. The two will play a doubleheader featuring two seven-inning games on Saturday, June 5, with game one starting at 4:05 p.m. Gates will open at 3:00 p.m. for the 4:05 p.m. first pitch. The second game will start approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one. Coverage will begin at 3:45 on the Pelicans Baseball Network, which is available to listen here and the video stream on MiLB.TV.
Saturday will feature a Sippin' Saturday courtesy of RipTydz. The promotion includes $1 Bud and Bud Light 12oz. cans, $2 glasses of Duplin Winery wine, and $25 mega mug mixed drinks (48oz.). These drink specials run until 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from June 4, 2021
- RiverDogs Win 8-3 on Friday Night - Augusta GreenJackets
- Mudcats and Wood Ducks Split Friday Doubleheader - Carolina Mudcats
- RiverDogs Even Series with 8-3 Triumph over GreenJackets - Charleston RiverDogs
- Wood Ducks and Mudcats Split Doubleheader - Down East Wood Ducks
- Peña Goes Seven Strong, FredNats Win Second Straight - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Pena Walk-Off Bunt Wins First Game for Pelicans - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- 'Birds Bats Silent in Loss to FredNats - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Finish Suspended Game, Move Doubleheader - Columbia Fireflies
- Rays Send Top 30 Prospect Basabe to Charleston - Charleston RiverDogs
- Jordan Westburg Named Orioles Minor League Offensive Player of the Month - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - 06/04 at Carolina - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes at Myrtle Beach - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Return to Full Capacity, Plan to Pack the Park with Fans During Upcoming Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.