Pelicans Shutout by Blue Rocks on Saturday Night
WILMINGTON, De. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans could not overcome an early onslaught of runs from the Wilmington Blue Rocks as they fell 6-0 in game two of the series on Saturday night.
For the second night in a row, the Blue Rocks (38-30, 82-55) took control early. In the bottom of the second inning, Wilmington took the lead on a sacrifice fly from Cristian Perez that plated Dennicher Carrasco who had reached on an error and made it 1-0.
The Blue Rocks blew it open in the third inning when they plated four runs against Alexander Vargas (L, 2-5).
After Vargas set down the first two batters in the inning, Kyle Isbel, Tyler Hill and Carrasco bashed three-straight singles and added a run to make it 2-0. Kyle Kasser then lined a ball to right and ended up on third base with a two-run triple, but he did not stop there. After rounding the bag at third, Kasser collided with the third baseman Jhonny Bethencourt and was awarded home plate and that run made it 5-0 in favor of Wilmington.
Kris Bubic (W, 7-4) was lights out on the hill for Wilmington in the second game of the series as he kept the Pelicans (33-35, 54-81) at bay through six innings of shutout baseball before he was replaced.
Wilmington added on an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth inning off of Jesus Camargo . Isbel came in to score for the Blue Rocks when Kyle Kasser grounded into a fielder's choice and that made it 6-0 and that was the final.
The Pelicans and Blue Rocks will play game three of the series on Sunday afternoon at 2:05 p.m. LHP Brailyn Marquez (3-1, 1.77) will take the hill against LHP Rito Lugo (4-3, 2.39) for Wilmington.
Coverage starts at 1:50 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 31, 2019
- Mudcats Blanked 6-0 in Antepenultimate Game in Salem - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Sweep Saturday's Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Potomac Keeps Season Alive with Doubleheader Sweep - Potomac Nationals
- Villegas, Advocate Combine For Two-Hit Shutout In Double-Header Split - Down East Wood Ducks
- Woodpeckers, Wood Ducks Split Doubleheader - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Pelicans Shutout by Blue Rocks on Saturday Night - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillman Throws Gem in Hillcats Victory - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Drop Saturday's Road Contest 6-1 at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 31 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 31 at Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 31 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 31 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.