Patriots Win Back-And-Forth Affair
Akron, OH - The Somerset Patriots (70-45) tallied a run in the seventh to sneak past Los Perros Calientes de Akron (71-44) 6-5 on Wednesday night at Canal Park.
Akron got the scoring started in the bottom of the first when Brayan Lavastida drove in a two-out run for a 1-0 lead.
The Patriots rallied in the fourth, scoring five runs on four hits to jump in front. Oswald Peraza (12) hit a leadoff home run to tie the game and was one of three batters to reach base to begin the inning. With two on and one out, Isiah Gilliam ripped a two-run double down the line in front to give the Patriots their first lead of the night, 3-1. After two more reached base, Brandon Lockridge knocked in two runs on a bloop single to cap off the fourth inning scoring. The Patriots carried a 5-1 lead into the bottom of the fourth.
Los Perros Calientes responded with a leadoff home run from Lavastida to begin the fourth and a two-out RBI single from Brayan Rocchio in the fifth. In the sixth, George Valera knotted the game up at five with a two-run home run to right field.
Dermis Garcia delivered a clutch two-out RBI single to give the Patriots a 6-5 lead. Addison Russ shut out Los Perros Calientes over the final two frames to seal the victory.
Jhony Brito (3-3) earned the win after pitching six frames and allowing five runs on eight hits. Reliever Joey Cantillo (0-2) is tabbed with the loss and Russ (4) collected the save.
The Patriots continue their playoff push tomorrow night. First pitch is at 6:35 p.m. against the Akron RubberDucks at Canal Park.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots exchange congratulations after a win
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Welk Walk-off Gives Bowie Tenth Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Baysox Overcome Late Cruz Home Run to Hand Altoona Extra-Inning Loss - Altoona Curve
- Somerset Wins, 6-5, Pulls Within a Game of Akron - Akron RubberDucks
- Patriots Win Back-And-Forth Affair - Somerset Patriots
- Wednesday Night's Fisher Cats and Senators Game Will Not be Completed Due to Rain - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- SeaWolves Silence Squirrels' Comeback in 5-3 Defeat - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Dingler and Ward Each Homer as Erie Snaps Skid - Erie SeaWolves
- September 15, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Wednesday Rumble Ponies Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks in the Goodyear Drive to the Playoffs this Week at Canal Park - Akron RubberDucks
- Somerset Patriots to Host Online Auction to Raise Money for Tropical Storm Ida Relief - Somerset Patriots
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats Set to Begin Final Homestand Tonight - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Doubleheader Sweep Pushes Win Streak To Nine - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots to Receive Somerset County Business Partnership's Economic Vitality Award
- Somerset Patriots Tropical Storm Ida Relief Fundraising Reaches $35,000
- Patriots INF Oswaldo Cabrera Named Double-A Northeast MVP
- Patriots RHP Hayden Wesneski Named Double-A Northeast League Pitcher of the Month for September
- Patriots Season Ends in Crushing 5-4 Loss