Doubleheader Sweep Pushes Win Streak To Nine
The Baysox elevated their win streak to nine games with a doubleheader sweep of Altoona Tuesday night in Bowie to move the Baysox into second place in the Double-A Northeast. Bowie won a dramatic opener, 3-2 before hanging on to grab the nightcap, 6-4.
Bowie led early in both contests. In the opener, Patrick Dorrian hit the second Roansy Contreras pitch of the game for a two-run home run to right field. It was a continuation of a spectacular season for Dorrian who has doubled his career high for home runs in a season with 20 on the year.
Leading 3-0, Bowie would hold off a late Altoona rally. Gray Fenter retired the first 13 Altoona hitters, going 5 and 2/3rd innings to get the win. He departed with the bases loaded and two down in a 3-2 game. Steve Klimek came in and coaxed a groundout to extinguish the rally. Then in the seventh inning, he struck out the side for his first save of the year.
In the nightcap, Bowie led 2-0 into the fourth inning. With a run in and the bases flooded, Dorrian came through again. He cleared the bases with a three-RBI double and Bowie's lead swelled to 6-0.
Altoona would hit two home runs late to get within 6-4 but the Baysox closed out the win and doubleheader sweep.
Gunnar Henderson made his Double-A debut in the doubleheader going 1-for-4 with two walks and three runs scored. David Lebron got the win in game two to move to 6-0 on the year. Diogenes Almengo closed the door in game two for his 14th save of the year.
The Baysox now have a half game lead on Somerset for the second and final spot of the upcoming Double-A Northeast League Championship Series with five games to play. The series continues Wednesday, September 15th with Grayson Rodriguez on the hill. First pitch is slated for 6:35 p.m.
The Baysox 2021 season is presented by Money One Federal Credit Union. The Baysox are home through Sunday, September 14th against the Altoona Curve for Bowie's final regular season homestand. For tickets, promotional event information and game times, call 301-464-4865.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A Northeast League message board...
Double-A Northeast League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Welk Walk-off Gives Bowie Tenth Straight Win - Bowie Baysox
- Baysox Overcome Late Cruz Home Run to Hand Altoona Extra-Inning Loss - Altoona Curve
- Somerset Wins, 6-5, Pulls Within a Game of Akron - Akron RubberDucks
- Patriots Win Back-And-Forth Affair - Somerset Patriots
- Wednesday Night's Fisher Cats and Senators Game Will Not be Completed Due to Rain - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- SeaWolves Silence Squirrels' Comeback in 5-3 Defeat - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Dingler and Ward Each Homer as Erie Snaps Skid - Erie SeaWolves
- September 15, 2021 Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Wednesday Rumble Ponies Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- RubberDucks in the Goodyear Drive to the Playoffs this Week at Canal Park - Akron RubberDucks
- Somerset Patriots to Host Online Auction to Raise Money for Tropical Storm Ida Relief - Somerset Patriots
- Game Information - Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats Set to Begin Final Homestand Tonight - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Doubleheader Sweep Pushes Win Streak To Nine - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.