Pair Of Wings Named To 2005 National Lacrosse League All-Rookie Team
Philadelphia Wings forward Andrew Burkholder and defenseman Dan Finck were named to the 2005 Edge Advanced All-Rookie Team as chosen by the governors, general managers and coaches of the NLL's ten member clubs.
"I was very happy with the development of all three of our rookies this season," said Wings General Manager and Head Coach Lindsay Sanderson. "Both Burkholder and Finck had fantastic seasons and will be essential to the success of this team next season. Unfortunately, with the injury to (Rob) Van Beek, he wasn't able to finish out the season, but he will also be a big part of our team in 2006."
Burkholder recorded 31 points (17G, 14A) in eleven games for the Wings this season. The 5'9, 175 pound forward was named Rookie of the Week three times during the 2005 season and captured February's Rookie of the Month award. The St. Catharine's, ON native was acquired by the Wings in a trade with the Toronto Rock on December 3, 2004.
Finck finished the season with 16 points (10G, 6A) and recovered 73 loose balls in 14 games played. He received two Rookie of the Week awards during the 2005 season. The 5'10", 190-pound defenseman was drafted by the Wings in the second round (14th overall) in the 2004 NLL Entry Draft.
The remaining members of the Edge Advanced All-Rookie Team were Delby Powless of the Buffalo Bandits, Rory Glaves of the Anaheim Storm, Ryder Bateman of the Minnesota Swarm, and Ryan Boyle of the San Jose Stealth, who was also named the Edge Advanced Rookie of the Year.
This is the second straight season that the Wings have had two players named to the NLL's All-Rookie Team. Defenseman and current team captain Thomas Hajek and forward Ryan Ward (now with the Minnesota Swarm) both received All-Rookie Team awards in 2004.
Guarantee great seats for the 2006 Philadelphia Wings indoor lacrosse season! Season tickets start at just $80 and are on-sale now.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from May 10, 2005
- Ryan Boyle Wins NLL Edge Advanced Rookie Of The Year Award - San Jose Stealth
- Powless Named to All-Rookie Team - Buffalo Bandits
- Minnesota Swarm's Ryder Bateman Named to NLL All-Rookie Team - Minnesota Swarm
- Boyle named NLL Rookie of the Year - NLL
- Pair Of Wings Named To 2005 National Lacrosse League All-Rookie Team - Philadelphia Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Wings Stories
- Wings to Re-Locate Franchise
- Wings Player Garret Thul Named to United States Men's National Lacrosse Team
- Wings Second All-Time Leading Scorer Bergey Named to NLL Hall of Fame Ballot
- Philadelphia Wings Brodie Merrill Voted Finalist for Transition Player of the Year
- Three Philadelphia Wings Players Named to Canadian National Lacrosse Team