Osprey Win 7-2 for 3rd Straight Victory
MISSOULA, MT - It took a little while, but the Osprey offense woke up in a big way during a 6-run 6th inning to turn a 1-1 tie into a 7-1 win over the Helena Brewers on Wednesday night at Ogren Park Allegiance Field. The awaken bats help support winning Osprey starting pitcher Deyni Olivero who scattered seven Brewer hits over five innings while only allowing one run. Osprey LF Kristian Robinson hit a towering solo homerun to centerfield and CF Alek Thomas drove home two with a triple to the right center gap to help the Osprey with their big 6th inning. With the win, the Osprey improved to 38-36 on the season and guaranteed they will end the season with a winning record no matter the outcome of Thursday night's season finale.
Both teams struggled to score runs early. Helena got through for one run in the top of the 3rd on a line drive single by Helena RF LG Castillo. Missoula then tied it in the home half of the 4th . Robinson and 3B Eddie Hernandez opened the inning with singles. After a double play moved Robinson to third, he scored on a wild pitch by Brewers starter Michele Vassalottti to make it 1-1 after 4 innings.
The score remained tied until the Osprey 6th . Robinson started the big inning with a solo homerun, his 3rd of the season. Hernandez, who ended the night with three hits, then tripled to center. 2B Brandon Leyton then singled Hernandez home to make it 3-1 Missoula. 1B Cesar Garcia then groundout into a fielder's choice, but then stole second before C Nick Dalesandro singled him home for the 3rd run of the inning. After a pitching change, DH Jorge Barrosa walked and RF David Sanchez singled to score Dalesandro. Thomas then tripled home Barrosa and Sanchez to complete the scoring in the inning with Missoula up 7-1.
Helena added a run in the 9th to make it a 7-2 final. In addition to Hernandez, Thomas also had three hits. It was Thomas' 3rd straight 3 hit game. In total, the Osprey pounded out 15 hits and played flawless in the field.
The Osprey and Brewers complete their 2018 season on Thursday night in Missoula. It is Fan Appreciation Day with the Osprey. Everyone through the gates will get an Osprey Team Photo and over 120 prizes will be given away throughout the game. Game time is 7:05pm. Tickets are on sale now at the MSO Hub in downtown Missoula or by visiting the Osprey at www.missoulaosprey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from September 6, 2018
- Seismic Sixth Shakes Brewers - Helena Brewers
- Ogden Comeback Falls Short - Ogden Raptors
- Voyagers' Road Woes Continue - Great Falls Voyagers
- 2018 Pioneer League Playoffs Set - Grand Junction Rockies
- Rox Punch Ticket to Playoffs - Grand Junction Rockies
- Bullpen Throws Seven Shutout Innings in 6-3 Win - Billings Mustangs
- Osprey Win 7-2 for 3rd Straight Victory - Missoula Osprey
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Missoula Osprey Stories
- Osprey to Host Job Fair for Summer Employment on Saturday
- SWX TV Deal, Fireworks Nights, Single Game Tickets on Sale
- Osprey Announce Promotional Giveaways for 2019
- Osprey and SWX Announce Deal to Broadcast All Osprey Home Games Statewide
- Osprey Announce 2019 Fireworks Dates