One Final Time: Saints Team up with Area High School Coaches for Senior Class Salute Tournament
ST. PAUL, MN - It was over. Their season taken away from them. No games played in 2020. A sport they grew up playing since they could hold a bat or grip a ball was gone in the blink of an eye. High school seniors in the state of Minnesota wanted just one more opportunity to put on the uniform and play their final games. For some, it may be the final time they would get the chance to play competitively. The Saints, along with area coaches, are teaming up to give those players that final chance to put on the uniform with the Senior Class Salute Tournament.
Beginning on Monday, July 20 a 32-team World Cup style tournament will take place at CHS Field, the home of the St. Paul Saints. The two-week tournament, ending on August 2, is a unique opportunity for high school seniors to team up with current teammates as well as seniors from other high schools. Coaches from around the area will put together teams of 12 to 16 players, with each game scheduled for seven innings and teams guaranteed at least three games.
"This has been a tough year for so many high school seniors both here in Minnesota and around the country," said Saints Executive Vice President/General Manager Derek Sharrer. "The class of 2020 has missed out on proms, commencements, grad parties and even spring sports seasons. While we can't give them their senior seasons back, we can provide them with an opportunity to put on the uniform, take the field, and play one last time with their high school teammates. We're proud to team up with so many passionate coaches to salute and create lasting memories for this great senior class."
A total of eight groups of four will play a round-robin style pool play. The top team in each group will advance to a final bracketed round with the quarterfinals on Saturday, August 1. The semi-finals and finals take place on Sunday, August 2.
For more information contact the Saints at 651-644-6659.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 30, 2020
- One Final Time: Saints Team up with Area High School Coaches for Senior Class Salute Tournament - St. Paul Saints
- Chicago Dogs Announce 2020 Season Schedule and Daily Home Game Specials - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Rack up 20 Hits, But Lose 12-11 and Are Swept by Canaries
- Brew Crew, Saints Add Familiar Face, Pitcher Nick Belzer
- A Cinderella Story, Saints Bring Their Promotional Show to Sioux Falls
- Pitching Solid, Offense out to Lunch in 3-0 Loss to Canaries
- Saints Lose First Home Game at Sioux Falls Stadium 5-3 to Canaries