NSC Minnesota Stars Add Two Attacking Players to Help in Playoff Push
BLAINE, Minn. (Sept. 6, 2011) - With the 2011 North American Soccer League season winding down, the NSC Minnesota Stars have signed two attacking players to help secure a playoff berth and help in a postseason campaign. 2011 USL Pro Rookie of the Year has signed for club after a highly successful season with the Wilmington Hammerheads, and forward Anthony Hamilton has joined after playing the 2011 USL Pro season with the Rochester Rhinos, pending USSF approval.
Having gone winless in its last six match, NSC Minnesota was looking for a spark on offense as well a chance to get current players fired up, head coach Manny Lagos said.
"I think as a club we're looking to right our ship a little bit. We haven't been playing as well as we'd like to lately and the results haven't been going our way," he said. "Both these guys are young and hungry and have done very well for themselves in USL Pro this season, and as a team we believe they can help us in a playoff push."
Mulholland, who can play as either an attacking midfielder or a forward, joined the Wilmington Hammerheads after a successful collegiate career at Wingate University, where he was the 2009 South Athletic Conference Player of the Year. During his rookie season in Wilmington, the Preston, England, native led the team with nine goals in 23 matches. He also recorded five assists, earning the league's 2011 Rookie of the Year award and being nominated for the Player of the Year award.
Hamilton has signed for the Stars after two seasons with the Rochester Rhinos. The Redlands, Calif., native began his professional career with Major League Soccer's Chivas USA. He signed for Rochester in 2010, appearing in 37 games over the course of two seasons, scoring six goals for the club in league play. Hamilton made 17 league appearances this season, primarily as a winger, scoring one goal.
The Stars have four regular season games left in 2011. The team hosts FC Tampa Bay September 6 and the Atlanta Silverbacks on September 10 before concluding the season on the road against FC Tampa Bay September 17 and against the league-leading Carolina RailHawks September 24. Tickets for the Stars' remaining home games are available by calling (763) 792-7355 or by visiting www.nscminnesota.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from September 6, 2011
- Free Kick Costs Minnesota Stars in 2-1 Loss to FC Tampa Bay - Minnesota United FC
- Silverbacks Come to Town for Fourth and Final Match - FC Edmonton
- Impact Faces Islanders Wednesday in Puerto Rico - Montreal Impact
- Strikers Face Midweek Test Against League-Leading Carolina - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- Goalkeeper Evan Bush Named NASL Defensive Player of the Week - Montreal Impact
- NSC Minnesota Stars Add Two Attacking Players to Help in Playoff Push - Minnesota United FC
- Final Round of Silverbacks Uniform Design Contest Begins - Atlanta Silverbacks
- Mayén Named Offensive Player of the Week - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- NSC Minnesota Stars to Take on FC Tampa Bay Tonight - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.