Notes and Quotes: "Every Week Is Going to be a Hard Road"
March 24, 2023 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) - Sacramento Republic FC News Release
An in-state foe visits the River City this week - San Diego Loyal SC - as Republic FC continues its three game homestand. Each club will be fighting to keep their unbeaten start to the season going at Heart Health Park in the first of two meetings on the year.
It's lining up to be a stellar contest between the two squads, who always play each other tough. Through the first two weeks of the season, San Diego has gone a perfect 2-0-0, and Sacramento's unbeaten after resilience in Week 2 secured a draw in the home opener. Each club knows the challenge the other presents coming in.
"They've had two good games to start, done very well and had two good results," Head Coach Mark Briggs said of San Diego. "We know they're a good team. We know their strengths and weaknesses, and just have got to be prepared for a difficult game."
"They've got good players, they spread out the ball in possession and can go forward and score goals," said defender Jared Timmer. "We're going to have to be on our A-game, possess the ball and be clinical when we go forward."
After last week's match, the club learned a lot about themselves. Playing with 10-men from the 36th minute on and still getting a result was the product of a lot of hard work in the face of adversity. After seeing what they could do when the going gets tough, the squad is confident in their ability to perform no matter what's thrown at them.
"We always ask them to give their never-say-die attitude and play 'til the ref blows the whistle," Briggs continued. "Last week after facing adversity, the guys reacted really well, showed the quality they have and that when we play with intensity, we're a really good team."
"There's no easy games," said goalkeeper Danny Vitiello. "Every week is going to be a hard road. No matter who we're playing, we've got to be at our best to get three points."
Three points remains the goal for Sacramento. And not just for this match - the road ahead will bring tough opponents week in and week out as the club continues forward in the first half of the season. Performing against other top clubs on the schedule early on will go a long way, both on and off the pitch.
"Winning games instills confidence," Briggs said. "We've got a difficult start against some of the higher-level teams in the league. [But] We get an opportunity to show what we can do as a group."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 24, 2023
- RGV FC Draw Third Consecutive Match - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Fahling's Late Goal Secures Draw in Riverhounds' Home Opener - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Monterey Bay F.C. Earns a Point on the Road Against Rio Grande Valley FC - Monterey Bay FC
- Kyle Murphy's Goal Not Enough as Pittsburgh Riverhounds and Miami FC End in 1-1 Draw - Miami FC
- Everything You Need to Know Before Orange County SC Hosts Vegas - Orange County SC
- Notes and Quotes: "Every Week Is Going to be a Hard Road" - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising FC and Channing Chasten Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Phoenix Rising FC
- Vargish's View: Switchbacks Look for Win #2 against San Antonio FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Preview: FC Tulsa vs. Loudoun United FC - Saturday, March 25 - ONEOK Field, 7:30 p.m. CT - FC Tulsa
- Oakland Roots Sports Club Get Set for First Home Game of 2023 - Oakland Roots
- SD Loyal Heads into First Road Match Tomorrow vs. Sacramento Republic FC - San Diego Loyal
- Hartford Host Birmingham in 2023 Home Opener Tomorrow, 2:00 PM Kickoff - Hartford Athletic
- Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Sign Two Players to Academy Contracts for the 2023 USL Season - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Charleston Take on Rivals Tampa Bay Rowdies at Patriots Point on Saturday - Charleston Battery
- 2023 Individual Game Tickets On-Sale Now - Las Vegas Lights FC
- LouCity Signs Smith, Elder to USL Academy Contracts Ahead of Home Opener - Louisville City FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC V. Colorado Springs - San Antonio FC
- Memphis 901 FC Hits the Road to Face Oakland Roots SC - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Rowdies at Charleston - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Hartford Athletic Announces Joe D'Ambrosio and Mark Donaldson as New Broadcast Team - Hartford Athletic
- Battery Sign Mexican Midfielder Arturo Rodríguez - Charleston Battery
- What to Watch for with LouCity vs. El Paso Locomotive FC - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Forward Russell Cicerone Nominated for May Player of the Month, Fan Voting Now Open
- Match Preview: Republic FC v Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Know Your Opponent: Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Republic FC's Herrera, Gurr, Cicerone Earn USL Championship Team of the Week Selection
- Sacramento Republic FC Downs Hartford Athletic