North Carolina FC Captain Nazmi Albadawi Returns to the Pitch as NCFC Draws with Tormenta FC
STATESBORO, GA - North Carolina FC drew with Tormenta FC, 0-0, on Saturday night at Erk Russell Park in Statesboro, Georgia. The match saw the return of veteran players Nazmi Albadawi and Robert Kristo, as well as the team debut of newcomer Malyk Hamilton, who joined North Carolina FC from Atlético Ottawa in February of this year. Goalkeeper Damian Las recorded his first clean sheet of the season in tonight's contest.
Nazmi Albadawi returned to the pitch for the first time since the start of the season in tonight's match, having been cleared to play this week. The veteran entered the match as a second-half substitute for Pecka, logging 24 minutes of playing time in North Carolina's ninth match. Robert Kristo and Malyk Hamilton also made their return during tonight's contest, each returning from injury to rejoin the North Carolina FC lineup.
"It felt amazing to be back out there with the team. I've been watching them battle from the sides and I'm glad I was able to play with them tonight," captain Nazmi Albadawi shared in a postgame interview. "It wasn't our best performance overall but every point counts and we got a point on the road away to a tough team."
In the 80th minute, Tormenta was awarded a penalty kick, a tackle from Max Flick drawing the call late into the match. Tormenta striker Marco Micaletto lined up at the spot to take the kick, missing wide right as Damian Las dove in an attempt to make the save. Micaletto's missed penalty rendered the 0-0 deadlock throughout the rest of the contest, as the two sides drew and points were shared in Statesboro. Chances from Nelson Flores and Cole Frame highlighted the first half, but inevitably, neither side were able to find the net.
"I thought the team was asked to do a lot of defending this evening to secure a point on the road and am proud of them to see it out," Head Coach John Bradford said. "Tormenta makes it difficult with their system by putting tons of crosses and players forward and we did well to keep them out of our goal tonight. Getting Naz and Robby back on the field is a great lift for our group. They will be big pieces of our team going forward and having them return tonight is huge. I thought all of our changes did well this evening. We look forward to continuing earning points, getting better, and moving forward."
- Nazmi Albadawi, Malyk Hamilton, and Robert Kristo all entered tonight's match as second-half substitutes, returning from injury.
- Damian Las recorded his first clean sheet of the season in tonight's contest.
- North Carolina FC maintained 84% passing accuracy throughout the game.
Up Next: North Carolina FC will continue their stint on the road to take on the Greenville Triumph for the third time this season on Saturday, July 10 at Legacy Early College in Greenville, SC at 7 p.m. ET.
NCFC (4-5-1): Damian Las, Nelson Flores, Max Flick, Malick Mbaye, Nelson Martinez (Malyk Hamilton - 88'), Peter Pearson, Selmir Miščić (Josh Coan - 70'), Luis Arriaga, Pecka© (Nazmi Albadawi - 70'), Cole Frame (Shermaine Martina - 80'), Jay Tee Kamara (Robert Kristo - 80')
Subs Not Used: Jake McGuire, Thorn Simpson
TRM (4-5-1): Pablo Jara, Stefan Mueller (Nick O'Callaghan - 80'), Josh Phelps, Lars Eckenrode, Curtis Thorn, Luca Mayr-Falten, Kobe Perez (Raheem Somersall - 81'), Abuchi Obinwa (Craig McCall - 86'), Marco Micaletto, Rodney Michael (Kristofer Strickler - 66'), Azaad Liadi (Kristofer Strickler - 66')
Subs Not Used: Carlos Avilez, Sergi Nus, Clayton Adams
NCFC: Max Flick - 38', Peter Pearson - 58', Jay Tee Kamara - 69'
TRM: Lars Eckenrode - 45', Marco Micaletto - 68'
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from July 3, 2021
- North Carolina FC Captain Nazmi Albadawi Returns to the Pitch as NCFC Draws with Tormenta FC - North Carolina FC
- Tormenta FC Secures Clean Sheet vs. North Carolina FC - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Richmond Completes Comeback Win over North Texas at City Stadium - Richmond Kickers
- Revolution II Game Preview: New England Hosts Greenville Triumph on July 4 - New England Revolution II
- Match Preview: Greenville Triumph at New England Revolution II - Greenville Triumph SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- NCFC Prevail at Home vs. Tormenta FC, 1-0
- North Carolina FC to Face Tormenta FC at Home on Saturday
- North Carolina FC Bested by League-Leading Union Omaha
- NCFC to Wrap up Road Trip against Union Omaha on Saturday
- North Carolina FC Earn Three Points on the Road against FC Tucson