Ninth Inning Walk-Off Homer Hands Bears Loss
A two-run home run by Dan Burkhark in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes to a 4-3 win over the Yakima Bears Thursday night in Salem, Oregon. The Bears had led throughout the game before the homer was hit.
Starting pitcher Brad Wilson was stellar in the game. Wilson left with two outs in the seventh with the Bears leading 3-1. Wilson spread out six hits and two walks, as he allowed only one unearned run in the game over six and two third innings.
The run on Wilson came in the second inning, which was after the Bears plated Garrett Weber from second on a Volcanoes error in right field. Yakima took the lead back quickly, as Just Hilt led off the third inning with a solo home run. The Bears stretched the lead to 3-1 in the sixth inning thanks to Henry Zabala's ground ball, which scored Marc Bourgeois from third base.
First out of the Bears bullpen was Miles Reagan, who gave up one unearned run in one and a third innings. Then, in the ninth inning, Drez Zizinia was hit hard. After giving up a double off a deep drive to left center with his first pitch, Zizinia had his second pitch hit over the right field wall for the walk-off home run.
Three of the Bears 10 hits were extra-base hits, as Yakima finished with two more hits as a team than Salem-Keizer. Hilt finished 2-for-3 with the home run and a walk. Westley Moss and Raul Navarro also had two-hit nights.
Defense was not a strong suit for either team Thursday, as the two squads committed a total of five errors. The Bears had three of the five.
The Bears have lost the first two games of this five-game series, the first three games of the second half, and a season-long five straight games overall. Friday the Bears and Volcanoes play at 7:15. Right-handed pitchers Teo Gutierrez of the Bears and Cameron Lamb of the Volcanoes are scheduled to pitch in the match-up at Volcanoes Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 28, 2011
- Walk-Off Single Secures First Win of 2nd Half - Everett AquaSox
- Dust Devils RHP Christian Bergman pitches complete game shutout; C's fall 6-0 - Vancouver Canadians
- Aquasox top Boise - Boise Hawks
- Bergman Silences Canadians in 6-0 Win - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Ninth Inning Walk-Off Homer Hands Bears Loss - Yakima Bears
- Former Coug Coming to Tri-City - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Volcanoes' Cancer Awareness Adds Event - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Boise Hawks Hit the Road for Second Half - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.