Nieuwendyk Is Strong in the Force, Lifts ThunderBolts Over.
Evansville, Ind. - After defeating Birmingham last night by a 4-1 score, the Thunderbolts looked to close out the Bulls tonight on Star Wars Night on home ice at Ford Center. Despite a quiet start, Evansville would power their way through with a four-goal second period, and hold on to win 4-2.
Birmingham would start off the scoring in the final minute of play in the first period, as Myles McCauley would score from the point on the power play with 38 seconds left to give the Bulls the lead. Evansville would take over in the second, as Mark Petaccio would tie the game on a Charlie Millen turnover, unassisted at 2:47. Chase Nieuwendyk would score two unanswered, the second of which was shorthanded, to make it 3-1.
The first goal, assisted by Jackson Leef at 10:46, and the second at 12:49 from John Scorcia and Cory Melkert. After missing on a breakaway, Dylan Clarke would bank the puck in off the Bulls goaltender to extend the lead to 4-1 at the 18:18 mark from Scorcia. The Bulls would storm back with 13 shots in the third period, with no shots in the third for Evansville. Tomas Sholl would stop 12 of those 13 shots, with the lone Bulls' goal coming on a power play from Josh Harris at 15:24. The Bolts would hold on and win their fourth straight game by a 4-2 score and grab ahold of second place in SPHL standings.
About Evansville Thunderbolts: The Evansville Thunderbolts is the area's only professional hockey team. The Thunderbolts are a proud member of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL). The team is owned and operated by VW Sports, L.L.C, a subsidiary of VenuWorks, Inc.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Nieuwendyk Is Strong in the Force, Lifts ThunderBolts Over. - Evansville Thunderbolts
- RiverKings Fall to Fayetteville 5-4 in Shootout - Mississippi RiverKings
- GAME RECAP: Don't Call it a Comeback; Mayhem Rally from Three-Goal Deficit to Top Pensacola. - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs Fall in Knoxville, 10-0 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Fiorentino, Hill Lead Marksmen to Shootout Victory - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs (10-16-3) at Ice Bears - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Marksmen Earn Point in Six-Round Shootout Defeat - Fayetteville Marksmen
- RiverKings Take Down Ice Bears 3-2 in Knoxville - Mississippi RiverKings
- Williams Scores Twice in 4-1 Win over Bulls - Evansville Thunderbolts
- GAME RECAP: Roanoke Outlasts Fayetteville in a Shootout - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- GAME RECAP: McCormick Extends SPHL-Best Goal Streak in Loss to Pensacola - Macon Mayhem
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.