New York Red Bulls Sign NYRBII Goalkeeper Luca Lewis
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have signed NYRB II goalkeeper Luca Lewis to an MLS contract, the club announced today. Lewis signed with Red Bulls II on September 22 after a full season with Torino FC Primavera in Italy.
"We're pleased to add Luca to the First Team," said Head of Sport Kevin Thelwell. "He's a good young talent with a range of experiences that have helped him develop his game physically and mentally. We like what we've seen from him the last few months and think his game fits well with our style of play."
Lewis, 19, made three starts for NYRB II to conclude the 2020 USL Championship season. The New York City native began his soccer career at the IMG Academy at 12, competing with the Under-13/14 team.
"We are happy to add Luca to the First Team," said Head Coach Gerhard Struber. "Luca is a good young goalkeeper with a lot of qualities we like. He is big, athletic, and he understands the way we want to play. As a coaching staff we look forward to working with him to continue his development."
Lewis spent two seasons at the IMG Academy and accumulated 35 appearances. Lewis then headed to Italy to play for Torino FC's U-17 and U-19 teams, accruing 27 appearances and 14 clean sheets.
"I am very excited to have signed an MLS contract with the New York Red Bulls," said Lewis. "I am very grateful for this opportunity and I'm ready to work hard and contribute to the team's success."
Transaction: New York Red Bulls sign Luca Lewis to a new MLS contract on December 11, 2020.
Date of Birth: February 22, 2001
Birthplace: New York City, New York
Hometown: Pesaro, Italy
Former Club: New York Red Bulls II
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 11, 2020
- Sounders FC MLS Cup Matchday Notes: December 11, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Academy's Discovery Program - Inter Miami CF
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Signs H-Town Native Jordy Reyes as eMLS Athlete - Houston Dynamo FC
- MNUFC 2020 End of Season Roster Update - Minnesota United FC
- LAFC Re-Signs eMLS Player "RemiMartinnÃ¢ÂÂ Oregel - Los Angeles FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign NYRBII Goalkeeper Luca Lewis - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Drop Season Opener to Sporting KC, 2-1
- New York Red Bulls Introduce Ally Melendez as In-Stadium Host
- New York Opens 26th MLS Season against Sporting KC at RBA
- MSG Networks Announces 2021 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule
- New York Red Bulls Further Partnerships with Jersey, Apparel Placements