New York Red Bulls Complete Transfer of Dru Yearwood
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have transferred Dru Yearwood from Brentford F.C. The transfer will be complete when the Secondary Transfer Window opens on August 12, and Yearwood will be added to the Red Bulls roster pending a medical, and receipt of his ITC and P-1 Visa. Yearwood will be a Young Designated Player and occupy an international roster slot.
"On behalf of everyone at the club, I'd like to welcome Dru," said Head of Sport Kevin Thelwell. "Dru is a talented young player that already has a good amount of senior team appearances. He is mature beyond his years and made a great impression upon us during the interview process. We look forward to Dru joining us, continuing to grow, and being a part of what we are trying to achieve moving forward."
Yearwood spent almost a decade in the Southend United youth system before being called up to the first team in the Summer of 2017 at 17 years old. The Harlow, England native made his Southend United senior team debut in the English Football League Cup on August 8, 2017 against Newport County and then earned his first League One appearance on September 2 against Rochdale.
"Dru is a young, exciting central midfielder, a true competitor and ball-winner, qualities we know fit well in our style of play," said Head Coach Chris Armas. "He's also an intelligent player, who brings intensity and passion every time he steps on the field. Dru is enthusiastic about the opportunity and we're excited to get him integrated into our team."
Yearwood recorded 61 appearances across all competitions with Southend United in two seasons and earned a call up to England's Under-18 squad in the Summer of 2018. The 20-year-old English midfielder then earned a contract with Brentford F.C., an EFL Championship squad, on August 5, 2019. Yearwood made five appearances across all competitions with the Bees.
"I'm very excited to join the New York Red Bulls," Yearwood said. "I can't wait to get started and meet all my new teammates and some new fans, too, hopefully in the near future."
Transaction: The New York Red Bulls have signed Dru Yearwood via transfer from Brentford F.C.
Date of Birth: February 17, 2000
Birthplace: Harlow, England
Hometown: Harlow, England
Former Club: Brentford F.C.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 5, 2020
- By the Numbers: the MLS Is Back Semifinals - Orlando City SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Orlando City SC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Storylines: City vs. Minnesota United FC - Orlando City SC
- Timbers to Face Philadelphia Union Tonight in MLS Is Back Tournament Semifinal - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City to Face Minnesota United in MLS Is Back Semifinals - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Orlando City to Face Minnesota United Inmls Is Backsemifinals - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Complete Transfer of Dru Yearwood - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- White's Late-Match Equalizer Secures Point from Orlando City
- New York and Orlando City Conclude Home-And-Home at RBA
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020
- New York Red Bulls Name Bernd Eibler Assistant Coach
- New York and Toronto FC Clash at Rentschler Field on Wednesday