New York Red Bulls Acquire Scottish Winger Lewis Morgan from Inter Miami CF
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls have acquired Scottish attacking midfielder Lewis Morgan from Inter Miami CF in exchange for $1,200,000 in General Allocation Money over two years, the club announced today. The midfielder will occupy an international spot on the Red Bulls roster.
The Red Bulls will send Inter Miami $700,000 of GAM for 2022, and $500,000 of GAM for 2023. Miami will also retain a percentage of a future transfer.
Morgan, 25, has spent the last two seasons in MLS at Inter Miami CF. The Paisley, Scotland, native has tallied seven goals and 12 assists in 57 appearances, which includes a five-goal, seven-assist 2020 campaign as an attacking midfielder where he was named Team MVP.
"We are delighted to add Lewis as an attacking option," Head of Sport Kevin Thelwell said. "Not only does he bring a wealth of experience from Europe, but he has found success in MLS the last two seasons. We hope that his experience within the league will provide an immediate impact to our group."
Prior to MLS, Morgan joined Celtic in January 2018, making his debut later that year in a UEFA Champions League qualifying match against Alashkert Yerevan. He made 31 appearances for the club including seven in the Champions League and eight in the UEFA Europa League. Morgan registered two Champions League assists and two Europa League goals for the team.
"I am happy to have Lewis be a part of our squad," said Head Coach Gerhard Struber. "He possesses the instinct and intelligence to recognize to get in behind, to open up passing lanes and create space. His ability against the ball to press and counter-press will also provide useful to our team."
The 25-year-old also showed his versatility late in 2019, filling in as a striker for several important matches including the Scottish League Cup final, a silverware-winning 1-0 triumph for Celtic. Morgan spent the second half of the 2018/19 season on loan at Sunderland AFC where he made 22 appearances. He tallied two goals and four assists for the club including a crucial goal that helped the team reach the EFL Trophy final.
The Scottish wide player began his professional career at Saint Mirren Football Club in Scotland after years in the Rangers Football Club Academy. At St. Mirren, Morgan enjoyed a very productive spell, registering 18 goals and 13 assists across all competitions in the 2017/18 season. In total, he made 118 appearances for the club, totaling 29 goals and 23 assists.
TRANSACTION: The New York Red Bulls have acquired Scottish attacking midfielder Lewis Morgan from Inter Miami CF in exchange for $1,200,000 in General Allocation Money over two years on December 12, 2021.
Name: Lewis Morgan
Born: September 30, 1996
Hometown: Paisley, Scotland
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 12, 2021
- Five Points: A Star Is Born - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF Re-Signs Victor Ulloa - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Acquires Defender Franco Escobar from Atlanta United - Los Angeles FC
- Atlanta United Receives up to $600,000 GAM from LAFC - Atlanta United FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades International Spot to FC Dallas for $250k in General Allocation Money - Nashville SC
- Nashville Soccer Club Acquires Forward Ethan Zubak from LA Galaxy - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas Acquires International Roster Spot from Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Charlotte FC Acquires Goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega from LAFC for $50,000 General Allocation Money - Charlotte FC
- Charlotte FC Acquires Defender Jaylin Lindsey from Sporting Kansas City for $100,000 in General Allocation Money - Charlotte FC
- LAFC Acquires $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC in Exchange for Pablo Sisniega - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire First-Round Pick in 2022 MLS SuperDraft from Nashville SC in Exchange for Forward Ethan Zubak - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC Acquires up to $325,000 in Trade with Charlotte - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF Signs Midfielder Jean Mota - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club Acquires MLS Veteran Attacker Teal Bunbury from the New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Third-Round Pick in 2022 MLS SuperDraft from Houston Dynamo FC in Exchange for Defender Daniel Steres - LA Galaxy
- Forward Teal Bunbury Traded to Nashville SC - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Acquire Defender Daniel Steres - Houston Dynamo FC
- Charlotte FC Acquires Two International Roster Slots from Nashville SC - Charlotte FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Receives $500k in Allocation Money in Exchange for Two International Spots - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Acquires $1,200,000 in General Allocation Money from New York Red Bulls in Exchange for Lewis Morgan - Inter Miami CF
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Scottish Winger Lewis Morgan from Inter Miami CF - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls to Host FC Barcelona on July 30 at Red Bull Arena
- Post-Game Notes: Red Bulls Draw Chicago Fire FC, 3-3, at Red Bull Arena
- Red Bulls Host Chicago Fire FC in Midweek Wednesday Night Match at Red Bull Arena
- Red Bulls Battle Back to Draw at Philadelphia
- New York Red Bulls to Host Charlotte FC at MSU Soccer Park in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16