New York Liberty Re-Sign Leilani Mitchell
NEW YORK, NY - February 14, 2012 - The New York Liberty has re-signed fifth year guard Leilani Mitchell. The announcement was made today by New York Liberty Head Coach and General Manager, John Whisenant. Conditions of the contract were not released, per team policy.
Mitchell started 30 of her 34 game appearances in the 2011 season averaging 5.6 points, on .375 shooting from the field, 2.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists. She punctuated the season with a career high, scoring 24 points in a win against the Minnesota Lynx on Sep. 2.
"Leilani is an integral member of the team and a successful leader. We are very pleased that she has re-signed and look forward to the return of her solid play and presence on the court," said Whisenant.
Mitchell was selected as the twenty-fifth overall pick in the 2008 WNBA Draft by the Phoenix Mercury and acquired by New York prior to the start of the 2008 preseason in a sign and trade for a 2009 third round draft pick. Named the 2010 WNBA Most Improved Player, she has averaged 5.3 points, on .388 shooting, 1.9 rebounds and 3.0 assists over her career.
"Being a member of the New York Liberty, the team where I've spent my entire career, is an honor and something I'm very pleased to be able to continue to do. The Tri-State area and its fans are the best in the league, I'm excited for the season and the chance to bring a championship to the city," Mitchell said.
Liberty fans will be able to watch the team in action at the regular season home-opener against the Connecticut Sun at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Saturday, May 19 at 4pm. Season tickets and partial plans are still available for purchase by calling 212-465-6766 or by visiting NYLiberty.com.
The Liberty will call Prudential Center home for the second of three seasons in 2012 while Madison Square Garden continues its historic, top-to-bottom Transformation. Prudential Center is a convenient 15 minutes away from The Garden by train.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 14, 2012
- New York Liberty Re-Sign Leilani Mitchell - New York Liberty
- Plainfield Named Sun Team of the Week - Connecticut Sun
- Ben Davis Grad Shyra Ely Returns for Second Season with Fever - Indiana Fever
- Atlanta Dream Signs Guard Laurie Koehn - Atlanta Dream
- Ashley Robinson Added to Mystics Roster - Washington Mystics
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- New York Liberty Selects All-American Guard Kia Nurse from UConn in the 1st Round of the 2018 WNBA Draft
- New York Liberty Head Coach Katie Smith to be Inducted into Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame
- New York Liberty Announces Single-Game Tickets for 2018 Season Now on Sale
- New York Liberty to Play in Preseason Tournament at Mohegan Sun Arena
- New York Liberty Head Coach Katie Smith Named to Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Class of 2018